Author Topic: Network Issue  (Read 2818 times)

kthomson

• View Profile
Network Issue
« on: June 09, 2023, 18:47:03 »
I've searched for this in the forum, and found a few posts that were close, I haven't seen an answer for this specific issue.

I have been using Multicommander for several years, back to Win7, or earlier. Initially, everything worked perfectly, but after one update, or maybe it was a Windows update, I started having issues with connecting to network computers. I can click on 'Network' and it shows only 'Settings' and 'Scan Network'. I used to use the 'Shell' method, and double-clicking on 'Scan Network' would find network computers with no problem (I have tried all three now, and none work.) Now, I can manually enter the path, e.g. \\mediaserver', and it shows up instantly, and I can read or write to it with no problem , but it will not remember it when I close MC and I have to manually enter it again the next time I want to connect. The problem is, I have about 5 computers on my network, and it's a pain to have to remember the settings for all of them (\\art, \\router, \\bar, \\main, \\Ken), and even if it won't find them, if it would just remember them when I enter it manually, that would help a lot. Is there a config file where i can  store these paths so that it will remember them when I close MC and go back in?

Thanks

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
Re: Network Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 22:39:42 »
File> Tab Sessions was made for this.

kthomson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 15:02:06 »
I'm not really famililar with 'Tab Sessions', but from what I read, it sounds like you have to open MC to a particular session to show the network connection. I used to be able to just click on 'Network', and there would be a list of all of the network computers I had connected to at one time and I could just click on one to connect. Again, I have many computers connected to my home network, and I would rather not have to save a separate startup for every computer, as sometimes I may have different network computers open in the two windows. Since it remembered the different computers, I assumed there was a config file that kept a list of those connections so it would not have to scan the network again every time you selected it. I just figured that if that was the case, I could manually make a list of the available computers so they would be listed under the 'Network' link. If that's not possible, I can continue doing it manyally, I just thought I would see if it could be done.

Thanks

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 18:41:51 »
This works for me. I click on 'network', and my network computers are listed. It seems that you might be using an older version of Windows. I suspect there was a bug in the early versions of Windows 10. However, it could also be that your network computers are not in the same workgroup, and are set to 'public' instead of 'private'.