Author Topic: [FIXED] Unpack error  (Read 12720 times)

Pepper

• View Profile
[FIXED] Unpack error
« on: May 18, 2012, 03:01:16 »
Hi Mathias,

First of all I have to thank you for this great piece of software. I tried it every couple of month to see the progress of MultiCommander. Now I am convinced to switch over from TC.

I have a problem if I want to unpack just one folder from a .zip file (not the whole .zip file. This works perfectly!). If I move the file, I get a "UNHANDLED ERROR" after a few seconds of unpacking.

Lets say I have a file called drupal.zip, in this file there is a folder called "content" and a folder called "pictures".

1. I doubleclick on the zipfile.zip

2. I grab the folder "content" and move it to the other side for unpacking.

3. It starts unpacking/copying

4. after a few seconds I get "UNHANDLED ERROR"

I hope there is an easy way to fix the problem.

Thank you in advance
Patrick

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Unpack error
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:31:04 »
Thanks.  I was able to recreate the problem.

The problem happen if you do a drag & drop MOVE operation. since it can not delete from the zip file while copy them. 

Workaround is to make sure that you see the |+| sign on the cursor then drag and dropping the files. Then it will do a Copy and not a Move, And it will work.

In the next version this will be fixed.

Pepper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 17:39:40 »
Thanks the workaround works  ;) !

I tried the same unpacking with TC, because I felt MultiCommander to be pretty slow in this point. And yes, the same operation took about 5 seconds with TC, almost 1 Minute with MC.

What is the reason?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 17:54:37 »
That is strange. I have not seen any slowness before. and that big difference is strange.
Hard to tell why it is slow without more information about the zip file and to where you copy it.
How is the content of the zip file. large with many large file,  with many small files, Copy to local drive or network ?

If you have an example file that is slow that I can test with, You can upload files here http://multicommander.com/upload/

Pepper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 18:14:02 »
I tried to upload a 3MB file with a lot of small files. I get "Sorry, there was a problem uploading your file."

This is the link of the example file http://ftp.drupal.org/files/projects/drupal-7.14.zip

Unpacking the file with TC takes about 3 seconds. Mith MC about 30 seconds. I use the same HDD for the test!

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:26:28 »
That difference in unpacking times is curious!

I have just now d/l the Drupal archive and tried three different ways to unpack it.
I used 7Zip's context menu command and it took about 10secs.
Then MC unpack command which took about 25secs.
And lastly Win7 internal extract command which took the longest at about 35secs.

All these times are long because of the nature of the archive. ie it is full of many small files in a large directory structure.

I regularly handle large archives of many formats in MC and the some are 100s of MBs in size.

Although I default to using 7Zip most of the time, and not MC's unpack command, I don't believe this unpacking behaviour is a "fault" as such,
rather an example of the different ways archive software handles the unpacking routine.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 10:15:46 »
I found the error. It was fixed before but the fix got ignored because of another bug fix. 

When unpacking many small files it is slow because it handles zip as a virtual filesystem and do not unpack the files in the order they are stored in the zip file so because of that it has to located the file for every files it unpacks. However zip is very fast at that so it is only noticeable if there are many small files.

But this is fixed in the next version.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 14:47:12 »
This should be fixed from Beta build 1080

Pepper

• View Profile
Re: [FIXED] Unpack error