Author Topic: How to quickly mark separated files in a folder?  (Read 16182 times)

duci

• View Profile
How to quickly mark separated files in a folder?
« on: May 23, 2012, 13:06:12 »
Common way how to mark separated files in folder in alternative manager is to use INSERT key (this key can also mark subdirectories). I spent lot of time by finding useful solution in MC or if MC supports this option too or not. I found very similar solution but too slow using a key combination such as ALT+NUM + or ALT + NUM - to select or deselect file in folder. Am I right or you have faster way to do that operation? Currently I use a mouse to select or deselect files in folder but it is very slow. I tried to remap this option in keyboard customization in configuration menu but without success.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: How to quickly mark separated files in a folder?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 13:31:23 »
Not sure I understand what you want to do. Not sure what you mean by subdirectories.

INSERT will toggle the selection of a file/folder and move to the next file/folder.
And you can do Ctrl + num+ to select all files with the same extension. (and ctrl+ num- to deselect them)
Alt+NUM+ will select all files with same name that has different extension..
(eg Filename.txt , filename.cpp , filename.h, filename.info  will all be selected when you do alt+ num+ on one of them)

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 16:05:26 »
I try to describe it: I want to find a way how quickly select 2,3 or more files which are in the same directory.
For example:
<subdir1>
<subdir2>
<subdir3>
file 1
file 2
file 3
file 4
file 100
file 101
and etc

I want to select, mark file 2, file 4, file 5 and file 18 (for example to copy to another disk) and my suggestion is to use something like insert key on keyboard to mark these files. I don't think so if it is possible to mark these files quickly by ALT or CTRL combination of NUM+(-) as you mentioned above. I found this option in NC, VC and also TT and it is very fast when you want to mark some files without any rules such as filtered by extension.

D.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 16:18:27 »
The insert key should already to that.. If you press the Insert key.. what is happening ?

The default behavior for INSERT key is to mark the file and then move the focus down to the next file.

That is the standard commander styled way that almost all commander clones are using since the old original NC.

Maybe you have overridden the INSERT key with another command when changing keys, so something else is using it. Then just removed that.

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 16:22:49 »
Yes, I agree with you it's standard in programs like MC but in my case when I press insert my file isn't marked but cursor is moved down and focus on next file. Maybe I redefined this key function but now I don't know where can I find it to redefine again to correct value.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 17:08:33 »
That is very strange.

It must have something to do with your settings.

If you pack all you config files into a zip and sent them to me at http://multicommander.com/upload I can take a look.
Config files are located under ( Menu > help > go to > config folder )
( edit: Looks like upload does not work. Use the sendfeed back feature under the help menu in the program )

Or you can just remove all the config files under that folder (move them to another place for backup) And you will get the default config. and it should work there. But you will lose all your own customizations then.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 17:30:20 by Mathias (Author) »

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 17:17:30 »
duci,
Enable checkboxes in Explorer panel Selecting settings and you will see wheter files are selected or not. If they become checked after INS, so you just need to change colors scheme.

GrantSP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 02:50:08 »
This is discussed another way http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,431.0.html.

I like to use CTRL +mouseclick to select files but at the moment this is not functioning as expected.
There was some confusion over "selecting" and "checking". The underlying code for file operations was acting on "checked" files
but the CTRL+mouseclick was only "selecting" them.

Apparently this behaviour is being fazed out and replaced with a system that works as we all expect it to.

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 08:15:03 »
to JUNGLE:

It doesn't work. I chose the option checkboxes and a little square appeared next to each file but when I press INS nothing happened. I expected that each of square will be marked as crossed.

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 08:20:59 »
to MATHIAS:

I removed my old installation of MC and get the fresh one and INS is works. So I will check where it is a difference in config files.

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:42:10 »
Ok, I found it. At the beginning I chose another style and behaviour for MC than standard and keys were remapped. Then I tried to find a perfect visual style for my as I had in my previous file manager. Now I compared ZFileManager.xml file with the fresh one and I found that I chose the option "Auto uncheck files and folders when single selecting". So I disabled it and now it works with INS key. Thanks guys. D.