Author Topic: Ultra slow file copy  (Read 18017 times)

cmdsemmi

• View Profile
Ultra slow file copy
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:58 »
Hi!

I have the following problem with MC:
the file copy speed is avg. 1 MB/sec!!! (copying files in same partition, or to another partition too)
With Windows or another file commander (for example Far Manager 2) the speed is 5x-10x faster than MC!
My config:
Windows 7 Pro 64bit , AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00 Ghz, 4GB RAM, WD Sata2 500gb hdd.

Is there any option to boost the filecopy speed in the options?

Thank you for the answer!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Ultra slow file copy
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:42:29 »
That is very strange..

What are you copying from/to..   Internal harddrives/ External USB drive / USB Memory sticks / SSD ?

In the file copy dialog you can try to select a different read/write strategy. It maybe auto detects something wrong and select a bad one.

cmdsemmi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 14:20:46 »
I copying from internal HD to the same internal HD (same partition to same partition, or one to partition to another partition)
The problem is "solved":
the default Read/Write strategy is : Power, Same Disk -> this is ultra slow (Power, Different Disks slow too)
if I set to Normal, then its fast as Windows/other programs.
Is there a solution to set this Normal to default read/write strategy? (because setting this on each filecopy is very annoying.)

Thank you!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 14:50:36 »
Strange.. This is normally because of bad drivers.  Drivers that require that system\drive cache are used.

Just set the configuration of normal to the same as power.

The different of them is buffer size and that power bypasses the drive cache, In most cases this is faster for large files. but some harddrives/drivers does not like it.

cmdsemmi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 22:19:39 »
Ok, I changed power conf same as normal. Now everythings fast.
Thank you!

maestralien

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 10:45:21 »
Hello,

I had the same problem today copying from my external hard drive eSATA connected on the laptop's ExpressCard. I needed to copy huge folder with thousand of files (Documents) to my new laptop's internal hard drive. I just started copying and it was ultra ultra ultra slow!! Then I found this topic and I solved in the same way. It just needs to set the NORMAL-SAME DISK profile and it works.

Why make things complicate with such Profiles and permissions if, for example, Windows Explorer works with only one profile and, except for the poor features it has, the speed is always perfect without needed to choose any profiles?

Also, I tried different way to copy files, from external to internal hard drives, internal to internal (different disks) and internal to internal (same disk), I noticed that the better method is ALWAYS the Normal. So, again, why so many different profiles available?! Is there a reason which we cannot figure?

I think MC developer must fix this profiles issue! If Profiles are there to use, they MUST work, Otherwise, better remove them and that's it! Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:25:51 by maestralien »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 11:24:53 »
Copying is not so easy if you want maximum speed, Because different copy scenarios require different settings if you want maximum speed. unfortunately some hardware does not like it. And sometimes it is a problem to identify different hardware from each other. like USB attach harddrive and USB Attach memory sticks sometimes would need different settings to maximize the speed but the program sees them as the same type of device.

Windows Explorer does not use aggressive tricks to maximize speed and it can also find out if hardware support of the option or not. while 3de party developers can not. (Windows 8 will use even more different strategy to maximize the speed )

For example if source and target is one two different physical drives, you want to be be able to read / write at the same time. you do not was drive 1 to read some data then wait until drive 2 has written it, when drive 2 has written some data you want the data from drive 1 to already be read and ready to be written. However if you copy to/from the same physical drive you do not want this  (with the exception of SSD drives )

Normally when you copy a large amount of data you want to bypass the filesystem caches because letting the OS cache data is just taking to much extra time and if the data you are copying are more then the OS ever would be able to keep in cache it is spending time putting data in/out of caches for no good reason. and if OS write cache is used when copying large files you will get a freeze in the copy progress when it needs to flushes the cache and this is also annoying, problem is that some hardware. mostly older USB ram sticks, but also other hardware. does not like that and performance will suffer since the OS is handling the problem.

maestralien

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 11:43:47 »
Hello,

thanks for answering and all info! I understand everything you mean and I agree, sure, everything can speed up the copy process is welcome. Now the problem is that, as you confirmed, that for the OS itself is hard to recognize different hardware scenario and apply different profiles.

So, this is the question. Theorically your explanation is perfect, but I experimented that practically it does not work as it should! This is the main problem. So, right now, I see that only the NORMAL profile works fine for different scenario, as I tested on different computers (laptop and desktop) and different hardware connected (hard drives of different specifications such as SATA, eSATA, FireWire, etc.).

Many things work correctly and perfectly in theory, but then the reality shows different results. So, which is your solution to this PRACTICAL problem? I don't argue your Profile method (which I'd love to use if they would work), but I can argue that right now (maybe for a OS difficult) they do not do the job they should.

NORMAL profile works fine, other Profiles don't. Solution?

Thanks, all the best.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:29 »
Exact what is best for you is hard to tell without the hardware and test. I only had real issue with USB Memory strick. never drives.
But since Normal work and Power does not.. enable all cache for power (or that ever profile it autoselects )

or set the same settings that you have under normal for the profile that is autoselected that drive.
A Normal Profile with the same settings as Power Profile will make the Power Profile act the the Normal profile
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:59:05 by Mathias (Author) »

maestralien

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 13:33:32 »
Ok thanks. Where is a direct link to open the Profile configurations and set the preferences for each Profile?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 13:39:04 »
Expand the Copy To dialog fully and click the "..." button that is to the right of the "Read/Write Strategy" dropdown

gzycy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 11:00:50 »
same thing happens to me . windows 7 64 pro.
anyway to save normal same disk as default?
i have to change this every time.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 11:06:10 »
What profiles gets autoselected ? change that to same settings as normal.

Try enable all the Cache checkboxes in that profile.

it should match correct. But some remote and USB devices get matched wrong. what are you using.

gzycy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 11:36:20 »
copy between two different physical drives.
power same disk is autoselected.
ok,thank you. save profile and better.