Author Topic: Problem with files appearing in MC 2.5 when I use copy, paste  (Read 9043 times)

duci

• View Profile
Hi,

I have a problem with files appearing when I create new directory, then in second directory I marked 2 files by CTRL+C and then I switched into first one and here I copy those 2 files by CTRL+V from clipboard. The result is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work (in background it is ok, it works well but non of these files are in this directory on the screen!!! , but in real world they are already there but not on the screen). I tried to press CTRL+V again and I've got notification that these two files are already there and if I want to replace, rewrite it. Why, any suggestion?

Thanks

D.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Problem with files appearing in MC 2.5 when I use copy, paste
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 17:30:34 »
Im not able to recreate the problem.

And it is hard to say what the problem can be.

When you copy using ctrl+c , ctrl+v the copying is handled by Windows it self and not MC, and MC has to rely on Windows to notify MC that the file system have changed, This often happens if the target is a network device, But can also happen in other situations.
It can also fail if MC has lost the notification hookup to the system. But happens mostly only on network devices.

You can always force a refresh with F2. (If running commander styled key setup)

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 14:30:03 »
Yes, when I tried to use F2 key to refresh, then it works and files appear immediately, but why it happens on my local computer/discs? With other file managers it doesn't happen. Is it possible to handle a timer which is responsible for refreshing of any changes in directories (I mean to set up a timer to refresh directory with faster response)?

D.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 16:06:02 »
Very strange

The views are not updated using a timer. It asked Windows to notify when the folder is changed. So then a file is change,create,delete,modify MC receives a message that says 'a files was added in folder x' (kind of)
So why it does not update I don't know. It should.

Im not able to recreate it here. So it might be some timing issue between threads. I will take a look and see If I can find something that can interfere/block the refresh request.

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:59:44 »
It is strange, because these files are really on the new place when I press CTRL+V keys, but I can't see them. Only when I press F2 to refresh. It is very rare, but I have never seen that in other managers.

D.