Multi Commander > Support and Feedback

WebView problem

(1/1)

nietrupek:
Is there any way to tell MC *not* to use WebView?

When I click "Web View" button in MultiDataViewer, it freezes. I have to close and re-open it to bring it to live.
When I press View (F3) on PDF file, it is even worse: I get error message telling that WebView controller (whatever it is) is not found. I can't see PDF as bytes, ASCII, nothing at all, because WebView is apparently default viewer in this case.

Mathias (Author):
In FileType configuration you can add external viewers for pdf. then it will open in that viewer instead.

Also if you remove WebView2Loader.dll from MC will fail to load webview and will fall back to old way and open it binary. (unless you have it already installed in the search path by another app)
<install dir>\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\WebView2Loader.dll

There is no error in the app log ?

Might in future version add option to enabled what filetype webview will load for so they can be easily disbaled.

nietrupek:

--- Quote from: Mathias (Author) on September 06, 2026, 09:50:55 ---In FileType configuration you can add external viewers for pdf. then it will open in that viewer instead.

--- End quote ---

I did it for PDFs, however personally I prefer external viewer for "Run" action (by pressing Enter on file name) and internal MultiFileViewer for View/F3.


--- Quote from: Mathias (Author) on September 06, 2026, 09:50:55 ---Also if you remove WebView2Loader.dll from MC will fail to load webview and will fall back to old way and open it binary. (unless you have it already installed in the search path by another app)

--- End quote ---

No, it does not work this way. After renaming "WebView2Loader.dll" to "WebView2Loader.dll.sav" all internal file view stopped working. Just no action after pressing View/F3 (restart MC to see it). External viewers still work.


--- Quote from: Mathias (Author) on September 06, 2026, 09:50:55 ---There is no error in the app log ?

--- End quote ---

There is, of course. For example: "2026-09-10 11:08:11.666 WebView2 failed while initializing the WebView2 controller (0x80080005). File: C:\Users\herbata\home\bin\node-v24.18.0-win-x64\README.md"


--- Quote from: Mathias (Author) on September 06, 2026, 09:50:55 ---Might in future version add option to enabled what filetype webview will load for so they can be easily disbaled.

--- End quote ---

IMHO the best behaviour in this case is just  silently fall back to old way.

Could you tell why all this webview staff doesn't work for me?



Mathias (Author):
I dno't know.. WebView is a Microsoft component to show HTML in an application.. And used by lots and lots of apps.. so Why it does not work for you are strange
Error 0x80080005 means "access denied". so something is blocking it.

Strange.. because it does lazy loading of the WebView2Loader.. and if not found it should continue as before without the ability to render html
Even if WEbView2Loader.dll is renamed/delete it might be able to load it.. Lots of 3rd party application install this file wrongly and place it in Windows System folder other places that are in the PATH. So then it will find it anyway from another install.


nietrupek:

--- Quote from: Mathias (Author) on September 11, 2026, 07:31:25 ---I dno't know.. WebView is a Microsoft component to show HTML in an application.. And used by lots and lots of apps..

--- End quote ---

In my system these "lots of apps" is exactly 1 app (besides MC).


--- Quote from: Mathias (Author) on September 11, 2026, 07:31:25 ---Error 0x80080005 means "access denied". so something is blocking it.

--- End quote ---

Yes! I am the one to blame. About 3 years ago Microsoft tried aggressively to force me to use Edge browser so I searched for remedy. Found it here: https://www.sordum.org/9312/edge-blocker-v2-0/
As you see, it not only blocks Edge but WEbView as well.

Problem solved, thank you.


Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version