Author Topic: MultiCommander 2.5. "Not Responding after 30 seconds open"  (Read 7684 times)

Mrwizard

• View Profile
I've installed Multicommander on my Work Laptop, Lenovo Thinkpad 510, Intel Core i7  2.67 GHz 32 bit  4 GB Mem.  The install goes fine and I'm able to start the program and work with it for about the first 30 seconds after opening it, then it hangs up every time, no matter what section of the program I'm in.  No Log files are created, no system event log files are created.  I've tried installing one version back and using the stand alone version, same thing.  It works fine on my home PC, also a Core i7.  Really a bummer since I was looking forward to being able to use it at work as well....  Any ideas / thoughts would be appreciated.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: MultiCommander 2.5. "Not Responding after 30 seconds open"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 17:21:59 »
The only think that is run after the program starts is a check for new version. And maybe it gets a weird result back because of some firewall software that does something.

Also after a folder is browsed there is a background task for getting icons. And 3d party shell extension can also lockup the program if they do something bad.

The first thing you can try to turn off new version check. Since you can not change that settings from inside MultiCommander before its lockups
you can try to edit the file manually. Edit the MultiCommander.xml file located in
Full version : C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MultiCommander\Config\
Portable version  <MC EXE path>\config\

Then search for <checkfornewversion value="1"/> and change the value to 0 ( value="0" )

If that do not work you can create a dumpfile of MultiCommander.exe after it hangs using the TaskManager (right click on process and select 'Create Dump File') Then pack the dump file and upload the dumpfile to http://multicommander.com/upload/ and I might be able to see why it hangs.

Mrwizard

• View Profile
Re: MultiCommander 2.5. "Not Responding after 30 seconds open"
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 20:22:52 »
Hey Mathias,  Thanks for the reply, it turns out to be the auto update feature for some reason.  I know it's not the firewall because I have the same firewall on my home PC and it doesn't hang there, could have something to do with the domain setup here at work which is what I'll attribute it to, anyway, it's working now so Thanks Again for your help, your program ROCKS !