Author Topic: Open New Panels With Tree Visible (internals)  (Read 12380 times)

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
Open New Panels With Tree Visible (internals)
« on: July 29, 2012, 07:46:48 »
Press the tree button or Alt+Num* to toggle it.  by default it is always off.
So each tab has its own tree? Or just some attribute? I think each explorer panel should have only one tree and it should be either always visible for all tabs or always hidden.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Open New Panels With Tree Visible (internals)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:56:04 »
Press the tree button or Alt+Num* to toggle it.  by default it is always off.
So each tab has its own tree? Or just some attribute? I think each explorer panel should have only one tree and it should be either always visible for all tabs or always hidden.
A tab is a new instance of a Explorer Panel. and the Tree is located inside the tab. so every tab has its own tree.  It is just not shown by default. (And if it is never shown then it is never fully created, and does not take up any resources)

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:10:36 »
(And if it is never shown then it is never fully created, and does not take up any resources)
If i want to always see a tree, it means that it will be created for every tab. And for 10 tabs on each side there will be 100 trees? But since there is always one visible active tab on each panel, it means that actually only 2 trees needed.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:30:50 »
(And if it is never shown then it is never fully created, and does not take up any resources)
If i want to always see a tree, it means that it will be created for every tab. And for 10 tabs on each side there will be 100 trees? But since there is always one visible active tab on each panel, it means that actually only 2 trees needed.
100..?? no you have only 2 sides not 10..  so of 10 tabs on the left and 10 to the right,  20 instances of the explorer panel is created.

You could technically use the same Tree/List elements for all tabs and only show the content for the active tabs. But that would be messy. And is not good coding.

Every instance of a Explorer Panel\Search\LanEditor\CheckSum  is like an "app" (Like the one you have in smartphones.).  but instances of showing them in own windows they are shown in tabs.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:19:43 »
100..??
Mistake of course.   :(
Well, good and bad are subjective. Performance and resources consuming are what is really important and what can be measured and compared. I can say nothing about smartphones since i've never had one, but i definitely prefer to have one phone for all my contact list rather than lots - phone per contact   :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:00:12 by Mathias (Author) »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:46:14 »
Yes of course performance is important. That is one of the reason it is done this way. Sharing GUI you had to remember the state and content of everything manually.  There also would have been a delay when saving/restoring the state was soon as you changed tab. But it probably would not be that noticeable since a computer are really fast.
And the code would be horrible and not modular.

Now all instance of an "apps" (like the Explorer Panel) are self contained like they are own programs running inside a program witch make then easier to extend. And the app module also make it easier to add new features.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:15 »
I can say nothing about smartphones since i've never had one, but i definitely prefer to have one phone for all my contact list rather than lots - phone per contact   :)
More like many contact applications inside the phone can use the same contact list. But the point with the phone thing was the app model that phones are using.
MC is kind of similar with its plugin API. MC is build around a app model where the Explorer Panel and search, checksum, (and more) are Apps that is build using the core API layer. This make it easy to add new features and extend MC. It makes everything modular and easier to maintain and update.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:54:43 »
Well, i don't try to change your mind :) I like the possibility to perform several simultaneous searches. You're right, everything should be easy. And efficient.

[irony] It just makes me sad when i see an application with single empty form that does nothing and has size ~1Mb. :) And i can't understand how the hell 2GHz CPU + 1Gb RAM + 128Mb video can not be enough for playing Tetris or 8-bit style game! [/irony]

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 09:24:08 »
Well, i don't try to change your mind :) I like the possibility to perform several simultaneous searches. You're right, everything should be easy. And efficient.
Even if I wanted to change It would be to late now. But there is a lot of caching and memory sharing, ref counting and things in MC that makes sure that it does not waste memory and that performance is not slow.

[irony] It just makes me sad when i see an application with single empty form that does nothing and has size ~1Mb. :) And i can't understand how the hell 2GHz CPU + 1Gb RAM + 128Mb video can not be enough for playing Tetris or 8-bit style game! [/irony]
Yes that is just bad programming. :)