Author Topic: Backup/Restore Does not work after upgrade  (Read 8459 times)

Sajjan

• View Profile
Backup/Restore Does not work after upgrade
« on: August 30, 2012, 22:32:07 »
I upgraded MC to latest version.
After that all old preset settings vanished.
Luckily I had saved old settings by backup but when I try to restore it does not work.
Please help.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Backup/Restore Does not work after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:39:28 »
How did you upgrade ? Built in process or download and replaced everything.
The build in process should do not overwrite you settings files.

Are you running Normal or Portable version ? (They store settings in a different way )

If you type ":goconfig" in the command line field you will be takes to the location where the settings files are stored, Is it this files you should backup/restore.

Sajjan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:27:12 »
"How did you upgrade ? Built in process or download and replaced everything.
The build in process should do not overwrite you settings files.

Are you running Normal or Portable version ? (They store settings in a different way )

If you type ":goconfig" in the command line field you will be takes to the location where the settings files are stored, Is it this files you should backup/restore.
"
1. I upgraded by built in process.
2. I never touched anything in system files for I do not know anything.
3. I am running portable version.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:49:51 »
Strange their should not be any problem upgrading. Only the default settings files are overwritten when upgrading but not if you are running in portable mode.

Verify if it really runs in portable mode. check the about box.  under  Menu > Help > About

In the Information box, does it says "Running in portable mode : Yes" 

If it does then the settings that are loaded are the one stored in the config/ in the folder that MultiCommander.exe is started from. Then copy the backup files here.

If is says "No" then the config file under "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\MultiCommander\Config\" ( type ":goconfig" to go there ) is loaded.

If the backup settings file are configured for portable mode then you will have "<config global="1"> in the beginning of MultiCommander.xml
then even if it says "No" in the about box you can copy the backup file over to the config/ folder where MultiCommander.exe is, and then when you start it should say "Yes"