Author Topic: Setting "Standard" Date display format has no effect  (Read 11114 times)

dahaiou

• View Profile
Setting "Standard" Date display format has no effect
« on: September 03, 2012, 13:00:34 »
Running MC 64-bit build Aug 19 2012 on Win7-64.

I have set Date Display format to "Standard" and also restarted MultiCommander,
but it is still displaying file dates as "Today", "Monday" etc. instead of the full date format.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Setting "Standard" Date display format has no effect
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 13:06:15 »
Sure you change the correct date settings ?

Change date format for current panel
Menu > View > Explorer Panel > Date Format

Change default date format for new tabs
Menu > Configuration > Explorer Panel > Display[tab] > Date /Time Format (Title)
(*) Standard - Full date and time

dahaiou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 19:02:28 »
OK thanks. I was using the latter. I see how it works now.

But I still have to gripe a little because now the interface is contradictory. If you change a configuration and press "Apply" (there is even a choice between "Apply" and "Save") you'd expect it to be applied and have an effect there and then, not at some future point. And you'd certainly not expect to see the old setting still in effect after restarting the application.

Also, needing to navigate to two widely distant points in the menu tree to set the same characteristic (one for the current view, the other for future ones) just seems terribly disorganised and confusing.

Oh well, here I go, complaining about the dentistry of a gift-horse again, thoroughbred though it is...

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 19:15:35 »
Difference between Apply and Save is that Save also close the Settings Page while Apply does not. Allowing you to continue to change settings

Date format is probably the only setting that is not applied directly on already opened tab. There is a note about it on the settings page
"Date Display Format (Will not change already open tabs)"

Maybe should say "Default Date Format For New Tabs" ?

And I'm not quite happy my self how it works. So a while a got that setting was change to change all tabs. But a lot of users complained and want the ability to have different format for different tabs and they did not like the new behavior,  So I changed it back.. But I'm considering to change it again to always sync that settings to all tabs.

dahaiou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 19:33:36 »
Ah yes, I can see the difficulty.
(Yes, "Default Date Format For New Tabs" makes it clear, but it would still be more intuitive to find the two settings one beside the other in the tree)

Probably some people will want their individual tab-specific settings to be persistent across app restarts too.

Maybe a new option or two would do it:
 - Apply this setting to:
     o  this tab (yes/no)
     o  other current tabs (yes/no)
     o  future tabs (yes/no)
     Default could be: this tab = yes, other current tabs = no, future tabs = yes
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 19:37:16 by dahaiou »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 21:17:09 »
Ah yes, I can see the difficulty.
(Yes, "Default Date Format For New Tabs" makes it clear, but it would still be more intuitive to find the two settings one beside the other in the tree)

Probably some people will want their individual tab-specific settings to be persistent across app restarts too.

Maybe a new option or two would do it:
 - Apply this setting to:
     o  this tab (yes/no)
     o  other current tabs (yes/no)
     o  future tabs (yes/no)
     Default could be: this tab = yes, other current tabs = no, future tabs = yes

Do not think so.. I would require way to much code changes to make that possible. No, the date format option will probably change in the future to be same for all tabs