Author Topic: Tabs on Panels  (Read 15854 times)

Sajjan

• View Profile
Tabs on Panels
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:39:37 »
I am using double paned file managers from the old Norton Commander for Dos, before Windows Software was born.
I have never used Windows 'My Computer'.
I updated myself to newer file managers as and when they came out.
I have almost all file managers available and many of them are paid file managers.
In this long span of use I have never come across any file manager which offered Tabs on panels, which I discovered in MC 2.7.2.
I have no clue how many more options I am going to discover in MC which are very useful to common user like me.
Sir,
I need help on the following:
1. I have Tabs in left panel, a. D:\abcd 2. E:efcg. on my right panel I have a. E:\hiij, E:\klmn, E:\opqr. I wish to set this as my start option. In other words I want these to open when I start MC.
2. I have Freeagent GoFlex Drive set is my G: drive. This is 1tb portable storage drive. There is an icon which I think is supposed to connect/disconnect such drives. However this icon is not active but my G: drive is displayed in drive bottons. Therefore I can not click on it to disconnect G: drive.
3. When cursor stays on a file, it changes by displaying line with an underline (without changing color). If possible, I would like to change color of whole line to indicate that cursor is there.
4. In backup/restore option only two files from Config get backed up and none from SessionsCOnfig, which I see are changed. I have no clue if other files are needed in case of a reinstall, using all current options.

Best of luck Sir.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
Re: Tabs on Panels
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:45:50 »
1. I have Tabs in left panel, a. D:\abcd 2. E:efcg. on my right panel I have a. E:\hiij, E:\klmn, E:\opqr. I wish to set this as my start option. In other words I want these to open when I start MC.

You may create autostart file and pass it as command line parameter.

3. When cursor stays on a file, it changes by displaying line with an underline (without changing color). If possible, I would like to change color of whole line to indicate that cursor is there.

You can change text/background color for focused files/folders in Explorer panel options > Colors.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:30:05 by Jungle »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:49:52 »
As Jungle says use Command line parameter if you always what the same paths.
2. I have Freeagent GoFlex Drive set is my G: drive. This is 1tb portable storage drive. There is an icon which I think is supposed to connect/disconnect such drives. However this icon is not active but my G: drive is displayed in drive bottons. Therefore I can not click on it to disconnect G: drive.
How is it connected to the computer USB ? ESATA ? Network ? Is it Removable in the list of removable devices in Windows, when you press the tray icon windows has for removable devices ?

4. In backup/restore option only two files from Config get backed up and none from SessionsCOnfig, which I see are changed. I have no clue if other files are needed in case of a reinstall, using all current options.[/b]
When running in Portable Mode it will save session config/info to file (else it is stored in the registry) But this information is not important for the program. It is information like last windows position, History information on what was written in some dropdown lists, what folder you last where in is so that it is starts up with that folder. and other stuff like that. This information is not backed up because it is not considered to be important and is not require.

The backup should contains all the configuration file.

Sajjan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 13:46:37 »
You may create autostart file and pass it as command line parameter.

Sir,

I went to command line parameter site and followed instructions. I created Startup.Ini (File Enclosed).
I then edited MC desktop Icon with following :

"C:\Portable Applications\Multi Commander\MultiCommander.exe" -F="C:\Portable Applications\Multi Commander\Startup.Ini"

I am enclosing bmp file of MC when I opened from desktop.

There is some mistake somewhere but I can not locate.

Please help.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 14:12:41 »
Remove quotes (") from folder names, e.g.
Path="G:\Personal Documents" should be Path=G:\Personal Documents

Sajjan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 18:21:02 »
Yes Jungle Sir,
I did It.
It looks great to have six tabs open when I open MC, which I would never get. Previously I had to always manually change to each one, which took enormous time Sir.
Thank you Jungle Sir.

I have Freeagent GoFlex Drive set is my G: drive. This is 1tb portable storage drive. There is an icon which I think is supposed to connect/disconnect such drives. However this icon is not active but my G: drive is displayed in drive bottons. Therefore I can not click on it to disconnect G: drive.

How is it connected to the computer USB ? ESATA ? Network ? Is it Removable in the list of removable devices in Windows, when you press the tray icon windows has for removable devices ?

Sir, this is connected to computer by USB port. When it stays connected MC as well My Computer shows it on button bar as G, when not MC only displays drives C: D: E: (F:\ being portable CD drive). Enclosing Screenshots.
This is not big issue but I would want it to work if MC has such option Sir.
I once again wish to praise this wonderful work, which is wonderfulx5 because of persons like you Jungle ans Mathias Sir.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 22:09:47 »
I have Freeagent GoFlex Drive set is my G: drive. This is 1tb portable storage drive. There is an icon which I think is supposed to connect/disconnect such drives. However this icon is not active but my G: drive is displayed in drive bottons. Therefore I can not click on it to disconnect G: drive.

Sir, this is connected to computer by USB port. When it stays connected MC as well My Computer shows it on button bar as G, when not MC only displays drives C: D: E: (F:\ being portable CD drive). Enclosing Screenshots.
This is not big issue but I would want it to work if MC has such option Sir.

The disconnect button is only shown if the device says to windows that it is a drive that can be removed. And you know that if it is listed in the window traybar.
The disconnect button in MC is the same as 'safe removal' in windows. See
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/remove-a-usb-external-storage-device0.html

And if your GoFlex is listed in the tray as removable then it should be able to disconnect it from MC.

Sajjan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:46 »
And if your GoFlex is listed in the tray as removable then it should be able to disconnect it from MC.
Mathias Sir,
Wile this drive stays connected an icon on task bar is displayed with option to "Safely Remove Hardware". I always click on this icon before I intend to disconnect my G: Freeagent GoFlex Drive.
After I remove drive that Icon disappears.
Best of Luck Sir.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:03:50 »
The Disconnect button will be enable IF window tells MC that the device is of removable type. Why windows does not do that for your Goflex drive, I do not know.
All other external storage devices I tested on works.

Sajjan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 16:49:17 »
Not a big issue Sir.
Anyway thank you for responding.