Author Topic: Copying from Iso file  (Read 9148 times)

Sajjan

• View Profile
Copying from Iso file
« on: October 30, 2012, 15:12:40 »
Sir, I have almost all paid File Managers. I only work on Commanders never on 'My Computer'.

There is a feature only in Multi Commander which is not in any other. I came across it only today.

I was copying (extracting) a file sized 7 Gb from an Iso file. While files was extracted I found two task bar MC icons, one for 'Multi Commander' another for 'Copy'. It took about 15 minutes on this operation. Being curious why two icons were showing, I started navigating in main window, and IT WORKED. I could change drive, change directory while copy continued. I did not have to wait for 15 minutes for Copy operation to finish.

On top of all, that 'Copy' window is so descriptive like showing bytes, time and many other, while copying.

This feature was available in 90's in Gyula's Navigator. Now on all File managers, main window stays locked until Copy is completed.. I have been suggesting them to fix this but I think they have no clue how to do this.

This was a pleasant surprise.

This is why I say Multi Commander is miles ahead of others.

Sir, please add this into your opening HELP dialogue. I am sure many who work with large files, would  love this feature.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Copying from Iso file
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 15:36:17 »
Thanks.

Yes, MC is designed from the beginning too NOT lock the main UI and in most situation it works. This is somethings that must be designed from the beginning because it can be very hard to change that later on without major rewrites.

Also, If you start a new copy operation while you already have one running, you can choice to add it to the queue of the already running copy operation or start a new. Because if you start multiple copy operation that work against the same harddrive the performance can really suffer (unless you have SSD drives )

Sajjan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 04:56:23 »
Thanks.

Yes, MC is designed from the beginning too NOT lock the main UI and in most situation it works. This is somethings that must be designed from the beginning because it can be very hard to change that later on without major rewrites.

Also, If you start a new copy operation while you already have one running, you can choice to add it to the queue of the already running copy operation or start a new. Because if you start multiple copy operation that work against the same hard drive the performance can really suffer (unless you have SSD drives )
Mathias Sir,
You amaze me everyday for what you explained is another mile forward, as far as the strength if MC is.  Having queue is wonderful option for users like me who handle very large files.
Icing on cake is this wonderful forum, which makes MC in what MC is today, persons like me can learn more and more of this truly strong MC. Here your pinpointed help in simple explanations, creating matching wavelength with users like me have no knowledge of technical aspects, is a blessing.
Sir, as an user I have some suggestions to make which I wish to, only because I love MC and have no intent to question your ability, or the design. Perhaps my suggestions are not applicable to all users but I wish to put them over and let you decide what is right to include what not.
Getting OK from you I shall post them.
Best of luck Sir.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 15:24:14 »
Sir, as an user I have some suggestions to make which I wish to, only because I love MC and have no intent to question your ability, or the design. Perhaps my suggestions are not applicable to all users but I wish to put them over and let you decide what is right to include what not.
Getting OK from you I shall post them.
All suggestions and feature requests are welcomed, I might not add all requests. But if users do not say what they would like to have added, there is little chance for it to be added.

Any suggestions and feature request can be posted on the suggestion forum. Or if you do not want to post public you can always send me a message private using'Send Feedback' from inside MC from the help menu or from the website