Author Topic: folder/filder sizes  (Read 13017 times)

avantuser1114

• View Profile
folder/filder sizes
« on: November 09, 2012, 16:30:07 »
why is it that decimal points are not shown in folder/file sizes?i'm using auto for sizes and there are sizes that have decimal points according to 'right click->properties' but i don't see them being displayed in MC..

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: folder/filder sizes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 17:02:00 »
The Properties Dialog is not from MC. it is from Windows Explorer.
MC uses number settings from the regional settings on the computer.

avantuser1114

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 17:07:47 »
what do i need to do so that sizes will match the values calculated by Windows Explorer?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 17:40:38 »
depending on what values you are referring to. Windows Explorer shows two values. real total value and virtual value.
MC shows the same real total number of byte.. Unless you have special files that MC count and that Windows Explorer does not count.

avantuser1114

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 22:33:15 »
all i want is to make the sizes displayed by MC same with what the properties dialog(size, and not size of disk) displays..that is if you're going to compare the size of a file/folder according to the Properties dialog(again, i mean 'Size' and not 'Size on disk') with the size displayed by MC in size column..you'll get the same value..and that is with decimal places included if there are..what are the steps to do that?what configurations in my OS do I need to change?I'm using Win7 x64..it's a bit problematic if MC displays a size and when i use properties dialog('size', and not 'size on disk') i see another value...

avantuser1114

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 22:39:18 »
btw..i used 'auto' in sizes..i have a folder that's greater than 3000 MB, why it wasn't displayed 3.3 GB for example?MB wasn't converted to GB..

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 23:19:30 »
all i want is to make the sizes displayed by MC same with what the properties dialog(size, and not size of disk) displays..that is if you're going to compare the size of a file/folder according to the Properties dialog(again, i mean 'Size' and not 'Size on disk') with the size displayed by MC in size column..you'll get the same value..and that is with decimal places included if there are..what are the steps to do that?what configurations in my OS do I need to change?I'm using Win7 x64..it's a bit problematic if MC displays a size and when i use properties dialog('size', and not 'size on disk') i see another value...

I don't know..  You say you get the same value.. then you say you do not get the same value. or is it just the formating that does not match ?
Size is not show with decimals, you can not have half a byte.. it does have thousand separator (also called group separator) and  MC It is using the thousand separator that is defined in regional and language settings on the computer.

avantuser1114

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 00:15:41 »
either i'm misunderstood or i didn't expressed it clearly.OK..i don't get the same values...and I want to get the same values...I use 'auto' in size display...for example, I have a folder that according to WE it's 20.6 MB, WC displayed only 20! Where's the 0.6?Another thing is I have a folder with size 4074 MB as displayed by MC, why wasn't it converted to GB?thousand bytes are converted to KBs, and thousand KBs are converted to MBs, how about thousand MB?won't they be converted to GB?hope that made it clear

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 16:57:06 »
First you need to know if MC and Explorer finds the same actual bytes, do that by settings MC to display bytes.
If Windows Explorer is showing less number of bytes that MC then it includes more files then Windows Explorer. can be that Windows Explorer does not include hidden/system files but MC does.
MC is using 1KB = 1024bytes when recalculating bytes to KB/MB. maybe Windows Explorer does not to that. (I think it does.. not sure )

GB.. Yes MC does not convert files sizes inside the listing to GB. it stops at MB, I did not like it when it did GB so I removed that.