Author Topic: Request for new options while selecting items  (Read 10083 times)

Timon

• View Profile
Request for new options while selecting items
« on: January 28, 2013, 17:20:20 »
May be I was looking bad in settings, but could not find option "Go to the next item after selecting with spacebar" (I think there is no need to explain what this option should do).
Also not quite understand the logic of the file selection. For example, I select several files in C:\1\, after that change directory to C:\2\ and again return to C:\1\ and see, that files are still selected in it. And I have to deselect them manually. It is very inconvinient. Suggest to make option in setings like "Do not store selection after changing folder" or change program behaviour. All file managers do not store selection after changing folder.
All is done in MC 3.0 build 1330.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
Re: Request for new options while selecting items
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 18:48:34 »
1. Moving cursor down when selecting via spacebar is not possible (Смещение курсора вниз при выделении пробелом невозможно).

2. Explorer Panel settings > Display > Selection and Checking of items > Remember selected files/folders when changing path (Настройки панели файлов > Вид > Выделение и отметки файлов > Запоминать выделение при смене пути)

Timon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 18:55:33 »
1. "Go to the next item after selecting with spacebar" is standard option for almost all file commanders. Still think that it should be request for further improvements.

2. Thanks for the tip with "Remember selected files/folders when changing path". It works fine. But I think this option should be disabled by default.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 19:03:52 »
1. If you press the "Insert" key you will select item and go to next item.

2. It is actually one of the most liked features. You can go in and out of folders without loosing the selection.
For example if you stepping down the list of folder and selecting folder to copy and you wonder if you should select a folder or not. You can enter that folder and check its content and decided if you want to select it or not, and when you get back out you have not lost all the other selection and can continue. But, depending on how you are used to work with files it might not be optimal for you. but there is an option for it. And if you get used to it you can't be without it. :)

Timon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 19:18:29 »
I know about Insert key, but very often I use spacebar for such purposes, because there is no need for searching it on keyboard (impossible to miss).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 19:29:17 »
Most Norton Commander clones follow the Commander style default key setup and there Space is for "select+folder sizing" and insert for "select+go to next".
Thats why the keys are what they are.

But MC also allows keys and mouse to be setup for Windows Explorer Style. And when using that setup the default keys for this commands maybe should be changed?

But it should also be possible to reconfigure it..