Author Topic: "Copy here" Not possible to "drop" the file in same directory  (Read 9427 times)

dahaiou

• View Profile
The right-click-drag and drop Copy operation works fine when you copy or move from one directory to another.

BUT, when right-clicking and dragging, wanting to do a "copy here" within the same directory, the "drop" part
of the operation is disabled while the mouse pointer is hovering over existing files in that directory.

If there are only a few files in that directory this is not a problem. You just head south with the pointer
to the empty area below the files and there you can do a "drop" and select "copy here" in the popup.
But if there are many files in the directory the list of files will take up the entire panel and there is no
empty area at the bottom. This means that the "drop" operation is disabled in the entire panel and
there doesn't seem to be a way to do a "copy here" at all within such directories.

As I said in another post. Copying "here" to duplicate files within the same directory is almost a daily
operation in my case, and I suspect for many others, so it would be good to have it work a little more
smoothly.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:14:59 by dahaiou »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: "Copy here" Not possible to "drop" the file in same directory
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 13:00:34 »
You can drop on column header when dragging from another window to drop in current path.

Use hotkeys.. it is the recommended and faster way to copy files. drag and drop is only there to support the basic needs and will only give you limited control.

dahaiou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 13:18:08 »
Thanks again.

Ah yes, dropping on the column header seems to work. OK, I can live with that.
But it still seems strange and unnecessary to have dropping (on filenames) disabled
in the same directory and not in the others. I can't see why they should work differently.

Sorry but I beg to differ about hot keys. It is NOT faster to use hot keys instead of the mouse.
It requires you to move your hand to the keyboard, locate the correct keys to press, often involving two fingers
since hot keys are usually Ctrl-something or other, and easy to pick the wrong keys too.
Most directory-tree navigation happens comfortably with the mouse and hopping across
to the keyboard disrupts the flow and is an unnecessary distraction.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 13:28:18 by dahaiou »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 14:53:33 »
It works different because when you drag / drop in the same window stuff works different.

But this is already on my todo list. But there is not at the top of the list :) But it is there

btw :)
Keyboard is faster. Mouse require you to move the hand from the keyboard to your mouse. :)
Commander styled file managers are made to use from the keyboard first. and mouse second.
Specially all normal operation as navigate, selection,  copy, view and so on.
But if you not familiar with the commander styled key setup and uses Windows Explorer Styled mouse/key setup you will not get that advantage.

dahaiou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:30:12 »
Yes, I am very familiar with the Commander-style navigation from pre-windows days
when mice were only found in other parts of the house, not anywhere near the computer.

In today's windows environments though, the mouse is just a handy way to navigate
around the desktop, and since your hand is almost permanently on the mouse to begin
with, file navigation with the mouse is just a natural extension of that way of working.

Different strokes for different folks.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:33:47 by dahaiou »