Author Topic: Problem when searching contents in binaries. And two more suggestions.  (Read 8970 times)

khaoos

• View Profile
Greetings, Mathias!

At first, thank you for your job, I really like your commander. But I have one problem with it, which forces me to use other instruments to solve it. "File search" doesn't search meaningful phrases in contents of my Oracle Forms 6i source binaries. I've found a topic (http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,503.0.html), where another user had a similar problem (Reply #8), but he did not responded to your request to provide you some examples. So try my attachment to explore this problem. I had to change an extension from ".fmb" to ".txt", but it doesn't matter.

One more problem, although not too critical for me. But solving it will save a little time in my job and save my fingers and my good mood also :). When I navigate to command line by mouse click or by hotkey or by just start typing, commander "loses" cursor position in a tab. Other commanders like midnight or far saves it's position. So I can type for example in command line "cvs upd " and then press ctrl+return to append a filename under a cursor to complete and execute my command. In MultiCommander I have to do some more actions to mimic such a behavior.

And one more timesaving feature I need at the moment. Cmd window closes after executioning a command in a command line. So I can't see an output of that command. To solve this problem, I can start cmd and then start typing desired command in a prompt line, then go to mc to copy filename, then return to cmd to finalize my command. To minimize number of steps I've created an alias cmd = "cmd /K", and use it like that "cmd sqlplus -some_args"  to start sqlplus in cmd window, which will not be closed after command will be executed, so I can analyze an output. But it still would be great for minimizing typing to have a hotkey (for example shift+return like in TotalCommander) for executioning a command without closing a cmd window after it finishes it's job.

P.S. Version of MultiCommander is 3.0. And sorry for my english. I hope you will understand.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 18:28:19 by khaoos »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
At first, thank you for your job, I really like your commander. But I have one problem with it, which forces me to use other instruments to solve it. "File search" doesn't search meaningful phrases in contents of my Oracle Forms 6i source binaries. I've found a topic (http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,503.0.html), where another user had a similar problem (Reply #8), but he did not responded to your request to provide you some examples. So try my attachment to explore this problem. I had to change an extension from ".fmb" to ".txt", but it doesn't matter.
Searching in binary files are a bit tricky and does not always work. There are some changes planned for this.
so that it will be possible to search for a byte pattern.

One more problem, although not too critical for me. But solving it will save a little time in my job and save my fingers and my good mood also :). When I navigate to command line by mouse click or by hotkey or by just start typing, commander "loses" cursor position in a tab. Other commanders like midnight or far saves it's position. So I can type for example in command line "cvs upd " and then press ctrl+return to append a filename under a cursor to complete and execute my command. In MultiCommander I have to do some more actions to mimic such a behavior.
It do remember its location in the list. if you from the command line row press esc/tab to go back the focused item will still be the same.

And one more timesaving feature I need at the moment. Cmd window closes after executioning a command in a command line. So I can't see an output of that command. To solve this problem, I can start cmd and then start typing desired command in a prompt line, then go to mc to copy filename, then return to cmd to finalize my command. To minimize number of steps I've created an alias cmd = "cmd /K", and use it like that "cmd sqlplus -some_args"  to start sqlplus in cmd window, which will not be closed after command will be executed, so I can analyze an output. But it still would be great for minimizing typing to have a hotkey (for example shift+return like in TotalCommander) for executioning a command without closing a cmd window after it finishes it's job.
Commands on the command line run that is not handled by MC it self is sent off to Windows.
MC does not send program to cmd it self. It is window that does that if it decides that a program need to be started using that.
I think it should be possible to create a script that launch program using "cmd /K <arg>" and then assign that to a hotkey

khaoos

• View Profile
Searching in binary files are a bit tricky and does not always work. There are some changes planned for this.
so that it will be possible to search for a byte pattern.

It would be great. Thanks.

It do remember its location in the list. if you from the command line row press esc/tab to go back the focused item will still be the same.

Yes, I've kept it in mind, when I have said, that I must do some more actions in MC to solve this task.

I think it should be possible to create a script that launch program using "cmd /K <arg>" and then assign that to a hotkey

I have tried to do this today, but still can not figure out how can I get text in command line. I have not find neither nor Multi-Tag nor Custom Command, which provides such a functionality. If it is impossible in current version could you add such a feature in future releases?

And one more releated issue. Is it hard to do to let command line handle hot keys provided by user commands?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander

Yes, I've kept it in mind, when I have said, that I must do some more actions in MC to solve this task.
Is is a bit hard to make the commandline field automatically know when the user are finished typing there and automatically return.

I have tried to do this today, but still can not figure out how can I get text in command line. I have not find neither nor Multi-Tag nor Custom Command, which provides such a functionality. If it is impossible in current version could you add such a feature in future releases?
If it is bat files that you run (or some other files with unique extension). Then you can configure the FileTypeSetup so that it launches .bat with cmd.exe with you parameters.

And one more releated issue. Is it hard to do to let command line handle hot keys provided by user commands?
Hotkeys works there. problem is that the "edit" box steals a lot of them. so many does not work.