Author Topic: Search  (Read 8405 times)

duci

• View Profile
Search
« on: April 08, 2013, 14:31:02 »
Hi,

I found a mistake in current beta version in searching of any string in XLS file. I used ALT+F7 combination to find files which include a string and I used MORE option with file content. I compared to TC and it is able to find XLS file which contain string for example "232H3" in some files but MC wasn't able to find it but in text file it was able to do that as well. So, for my daily routine I use MC to everything what I need but this was surprise. Could you please fix it?

Thanks.

Dusan

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Search
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 14:54:14 »
(Since search is not something that is change in the beta versions. This is not a "beta version" issue)

Searching binary files for text parts can be tricky, When searching for ASCII strings in binary files make sure that "search content as : ASCII" or "Unicode" if set to auto it will try to autodetect and with binary files it does not always autodetect correct and text matches might fail.

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 15:30:31 »
But I tried all of options: autodetect, unicode, ascii or utf8 manually but without any result. I think this searching option should do that. Sometimes I used this way when I tried to find some excel files with some special values and I don't know where they are. TC already helped me with his searching engine but know I was a little bit confused that currently it is not possible/available in MC.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 22:43:53 »
Strange. I did some test and it did find the text. But I will look into to more later.

duci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 13:42:25 »
Hi, now when I downloaded last beta version, MC is able to find/search string in binary file such as XLS (using ALT+F7 hot keys, there is new option binary). Thanks a lot.

Dusan