Author Topic: Any way to increase config screens font size?  (Read 12569 times)

koemyndo

• View Profile
Any way to increase config screens font size?
« on: August 10, 2013, 15:18:38 »
Font size on most config screens is quite small for anyone > 40 or w/ moderate vision problems.  Appears to be 7 pt MS Sans Serif.  That's tiny.

Even w/ 20/20 correction, after age 40 or 50, lots of folks start losing ability to focus when looking small print.  Especially, switching from one area w/ larger print (say, paper on desk) back to small print.  It shouldn't be a chore to read Config & similar screens.

The fixed sizes of config screens are fairly small.  It'd be easy to enlarge them & get font up to 10 pt or so.  Or allow resizing config screens & allow setting font size.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Any way to increase config screens font size?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 15:26:45 »
I think it is 8pt. And say anyone over 40 have problem is not true.. I know a lot of people over 40 that does not have any issue at all :)

Anyway there is no settings for the font size for the settings screen at the moment.

MC however support system DPI changes. So if you in Windows increase the DPI the UI in MC will also be bigger.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 15:34:35 by Mathias (Author) »

koemyndo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 16:22:55 »
Don't get smart, you young whipper snapper!  (what the hell is a "whipper snapper?")  I should have said "MANY" > 40 TO 50+.
But I said, OR with moderate vision problemsYou may be > 40 - 50 & no problems reading these config screens.  Trust me, MANY, MANY in either of those categories can read such small print - w/ effort, but definitely not "comfortably." 

If there were only 10 options to change - would be different.   Some apps have similar config screens font size, but they usually don't have several dozen options (total).
Won't you consider enlarging the config screen fonts (or providing some option)?

I already have Vista DPI set at 110% of default 96 DPI.  That makes font in Explorer & other Windows screens plenty big.  It doesn't affect font size in menu screens of apps like MC.
Have an HD 21.5 in. monitor, but like many, don't sit w/ my nose 12" from the screen.  :)
Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 16:39:00 »
hehe I'm not as young as you might think. I'm almost in the age group you mention and I know you meant SOME people over 40, I'm just allergic to people talking in absolutes and say EVERYONE think this. ANYONE does that , ANYONE like this and so on. 
never mind.

MC do change UI size depending on DPI settings. And the settings page should also do it. If it does not then something has broken in the settings page, And I will look into that..  But the normal parts of MC do follow DPI settings,  I have not tested the Settings page in high DPI in a while.

(Hmm But how do one add an option to increase font size if the user can not find the option to increase the font size because the font it too small. :) )

I will also see if an option can be added or maybe let it follow the font size for the explorer panel settings.

koemyndo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 17:07:34 »
MC do [does?] change UI size depending on DPI settings.
Are you sure?  I've never noticed Vista's DPI settings affecting many apps' GUI font (esp. config screens).  But, don't mess w/ it that much & most apps don't use quite this small of font OR have this MANY options (having the options is a good thing - just not very small font, sorting thru them).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 17:15:59 »
MC do [does?] change UI size depending on DPI settings.
Are you sure?  I've never noticed Vista's DPI settings affecting many apps' GUI font (esp. config screens).  But, don't mess w/ it that much & most apps don't use quite this small of font OR have this MANY options (having the options is a good thing - just not very small font, sorting thru them).

Yes because I ask Windows what the DPI is and then calculate the fonts size and icon size and other UI elements depending on the DPI value.
Unless there are some special issue with Vista that makes it not work on Vista. But it should work the same as Win7/Win8. Btw Win8.1 is even better it can auto scale the entire program by it self. (But custom support for it will make it look better)

koemyndo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 18:23:30 »
Thanks.  I increased Vista scaling from 110 to 115 DPI.  It did enlarge MC's config screen fonts a bit.  But, after changing Windows DPI, had to close tree view pane in MC, to resize some columns hidden - scroll bar didn't extend far enough AFTER making DPI change.  Resize columns - again - & save as default.   

Oddly, increasing DPI didn't enlarge the fonts in navigation or browser panes in Explorer.

Checked a few apps after DPI increase.  Some changed UI font size, some can't tell a difference.  Back in XP, remember I had problems w/ some apps' UIs - text running / cutting off on fixed size UIs, if set DPI to 115 or bit more.  So far, no problems in Vista.  I'm sure something will turn up.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 19:19:51 »
XP and DPI did not work great. It has got a lot better and even a lot better in Win8.1

Most Apps does not care about DPI. That why Win8.1 include application scaling unless your app opt-in as DPI aware.