Author Topic: Search result navigation  (Read 15230 times)

zorglups

• View Profile
Search result navigation
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:37:44 »
Hello,

As said in another post, I abuse the search (ALT-F7) as most of my day is searching through logs.

I usually:
- ALT-F7 : to open the search window
- CTRL-X : To expand the search window
Wish 1 (High) : I would like to have MC remember if the last search window was expanded or not
- CTRL-C : To search on file content
Wish 2 (Low) : This shortcut is conflicting with the 'copy' windows shortcut. Why don't you use ALT-C as it is usually done to navigate between controls ?
Wish 3 (Low) : If the search window is not expanded, CTRL-C might expand the search window and put the control on the search on file content field.
- ENTER : To launch the search
Wish 4 (Low) : Once the search button is pressed (or when I hit 'Enter'), the search dialog should remain the active control to accept the 'esc' keyboard shortcut. As of now, I need to clic it in order to close it.

Once the search listed the files containing the searched string, I go through the files in the search list and view them with the F3 launching the viewer.
This opens the viewer and highlight the searched term.
Wish 5 (High) : I would like that by default, upon opening from the search list, the viewer has the search string in the Find field. This way, it is really quick to jump to the line containing the text I searched for (from the search file list, I press F3 to view the file and press F3 to jump to the first occurence of that string).

Wish 6 (High) : From within the file viewer, I would like to be able to move to the next file in the search file list using any keyboard shortcut. You may use 'Space' for next file and 'Backspace' for previous file.
This would make my log navigation incredibly fast.

Would you please consider my wishes 1, 5 and 6 ?

Thank you very much.

Pierre
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:46:10 by zorglups »

zorglups

• View Profile
Re: Search result navigation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 14:54:10 »
Concerning my wish 6, you partly replies in another thread:
http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,991.msg3151.html#msg3151

I need to first select all my files. Usually, since I search file content, I will go through all files found, one by one. There is "logically" no point to select them.
Every one has his own logic, right ;-)

Could we say that:
If no files are selected, than the MultiViewer acts as if all files in the explorer view (which may be a result of search) are accessible through the CTRL-PGDN/UP ?
If some files are selected, than the MultiViewer acts as it acts currently ?

I would still find it fine if I could use the SPACE instead of CTRL-PGDN and BACKSPACE instead of CTRL-PGUP.

My other points of the initial post remain  ::)

Again, many thanks.

Pierre

Note: Do we have a way to help you (translation/money/...) ?

zorglups

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 15:55:03 »
- CTRL-X : To expand the search window
Wish 1 (High) : I would like to have MC remember if the last search window was expanded or not
- CTRL-C : To search on file content
Wish 2 (Low) : This shortcut is conflicting with the 'copy' windows shortcut. Why don't you use ALT-C as it is usually done to navigate between controls ?

As I could discover in the change log of the last beta, you made already my wish 1 and 2 a reality !!!

-- Build 1486
 ADDED - Find Files dialog remember expanded state between starts
 ADDED - Remember file search properties between restarts. (not all but some)
 ADDED - Alt+Z in the Find File dialog will reset the content

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH !!!!

I repeat my question: Is there any way I can help your devlopement ?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 18:13:14 »

Not with development directly. But I'm always looking for more translations. And I also take fixes for my own English language files. (There are probably a lot of errors in there. Since I'm in a hurry a lot and I don't always have the time to double check the spelling. ) 
Icons is also wanted if you are good at drawing, I really need some improvements on some of them.

Other then that. 

Just keep report bugs you find :)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 18:21:36 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 19:35:20 »
ADDED - Find Files dialog remember expanded state between starts

I'm also glad to see this one.  Thanks Mathias.

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:01:18 »

Not with development directly. But I'm always looking for more translations. And I also take fixes for my own English language files. (There are probably a lot of errors in there. Since I'm in a hurry a lot and I don't always have the time to double check the spelling. ) 
Icons is also wanted if you are good at drawing, I really need some improvements on some of them.

Other then that. 

Just keep report bugs you find :)

zorglups,
Unfortunately, i can't find initial message where you asking about help in development. But if you know C++ well, i think you could try to make a plugin/extension.

zorglups

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:49:54 »
Well. What about money contribution which is better than a smiley after a "Thank you" ?

Also, this thread listed initially other wishes:
Wish 3 (Low) : If the search window is not expanded, CTRL-C might expand the search window and put the control on the search on file content field. Note: This is not needed as you solved my wish 1.
Wish 4 (Low) : Once the search button is pressed (or when I hit 'Enter'), the search dialog should remain the active control to accept the 'esc' keyboard shortcut. As of now, I need to clic it in order to close it.
Wish 5 (High) :
I would like that by default, upon opening from the search list, the viewer has the search string in the Find field. This way, it is really quick to jump to the line containing the text I searched for (from the search file list, I press F3 to view the file and press F3 to jump to the first occurence of that string).
Wish 6 (High) : From within the file viewer, I would like to be able to move to the next file in the search file list using any keyboard shortcut. You may use 'Space' for next file and 'Backspace' for previous file.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:15:27 »
Currently I have no donation button. Since I have not had the time to set that up and organize that. But I plan to add something like that later and
then use all donations for good 3rd party libraries so that some of the new features can be added faster.

4) What search dialog?  file viewer does not have a search dialog.. and the file files dialog in search do close on esc,

5) The text in find "content" text is transfered to the viewer.  ( Ahh it is only set as highlighted not in the find text. )

6) Yes and no.  It will be possible to add so that it send all of the selected files in the search result.  The file list works that. select many files and view them and you can go to next/prev in the queue with ctrl+pgup/pgdn.
But there are a lot of changes planed for the search So I have skipped to change some things there to avoid having to change it again later :)
But I will do some of the changes for the next version.

zorglups

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 23:13:41 »
Currently I have no donation button. Since I have not had the time to set that up and organize that. But I plan to add something like that later and
then use all donations for good 3rd party libraries so that some of the new features can be added faster.
Ok. Looking forward for that domation button.
4) What search dialog?  file viewer does not have a search dialog.. and the file files dialog in search do close on esc,
Well. If I hit alt-f7, a new tab is created as 'File Search' AND what I called a dialog is opened to with 'Find Files' as title.
Once I launch the search, the dialog 'Find Files' looses the focus and will not catch the 'Esc' unless I click it first (and I hate the mouse).
5) The text in find "content" text is transfered to the viewer.  ( Ahh it is only set as highlighted not in the find text. )
You got it. Highlight is fine and useful but could you transfer it to the "find text" as well ? It allows to jump to the first occurence hitting F3 (which we just used to open the viewer  :D)
6) Yes and no.  It will be possible to add so that it send all of the selected files in the search result.  The file list works that. select many files and view them and you can go to next/prev in the queue with ctrl+pgup/pgdn.
But there are a lot of changes planed for the search So I have skipped to change some things there to avoid having to change it again later :)
But I will do some of the changes for the next version.
I understand.
If I had to choose between:
1) Have all files sent if no file is selected when I fire the viewer
2) Having a different shortcut for next/previous files
I would choose the (1)   ::)

zorglups

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 22:58:50 »
THANKS AGAIN !!!

I see that you now pass the search as find text in the viewer.
This is really great and will help me at least 50 times a day.

Looking forward for the next beta ;-)