Author Topic: Todays wishlist  (Read 10997 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Todays wishlist
« on: August 21, 2013, 18:40:32 »
In case these aren't already on the todo list I had a couple of things I'd like to see in MC (& keep forgetting to ask about  ;D)

- recall last rename in the renaming dialog
- save state of find dialog ('open' showing all options or 'closed' with reduced options)
- universal preview pane for 'text' files & images
- Undo function  (Already requested)
- allow rename dialog to update selection allowing several changes without closing/reopening the rename dialog.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 17:38:32 by Ulfhednar »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Todays wishlist
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:18:54 »
In case these aren't already on the todo list I had a couple of things I'd like to see in MC (& keep forgetting to ask about  ;D)

- recall last rename in the renaming dialog
- save state of find dialog ('open' showing all options or 'closed' with reduced options)
- universal preview pane for 'text' files & images
- Undo function  (Already requested)
- allow rename dialog to update selection allowing several changes without closing/reopening the rename dialog.

- Rename Dialog.. The MultiRename one ?
- Think I have something like that on my list. if not I wil add it to the list
- Would be nice. but that is not something that is added easily.
- Undo is tricky to get in.. what to undo and how and so on. Have it on my list. But not in the top :)
- what rename dialog ? MultiRename ?

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 19:27:22 »
Yes sorry I should remember to call it the MultiRename dialog.  I use that or the F2 inline edit & F2 doesn't bring up a new dialog so I didn't differentiate.   :o
It is MultiRename in both of the above requests - recall & auto-update between passes.
Also -- In MultiRename I notice that a saved regex rename doesn't tick the <regex> box when it is loaded.  Perhaps you can add that to the save function?

I will just try to remember what I'm doing until you get to the Undo phase of development then!  ;D
I can see any undo is a major undertaking, I had imagined this would somehow hook into the logging that you employ in MC.  User selects a log entry & steps back from that - was my thought. 
Given the probable need to group related operations from the log, I guess it's still very complex.

Could a preview pane employ a 3rd party util to save work?  Something like a chunk of Irfanviews' source-code perhaps.  (Assuming the code is able to be shared etc.)

One more for the list -
Debugger - could the view field auto-scroll with the highlight bar?  At the moment it can disappear from view, requiring manual scrolling.  (Too lazy to step, scroll & think ???)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 21:22:29 »
In MultiRename I notice that a saved regex rename doesn't tick the <regex> box when it is loaded.  Perhaps you can add that to the save function?
I will look into that.

I will just try to remember what I'm doing until you get to the Undo phase of development then!  ;D
I can see any undo is a major undertaking, I had imagined this would somehow hook into the logging that you employ in MC.  User selects a log entry & steps back from that - was my thought. 
Given the probable need to group related operations from the log, I guess it's still very complex.
Undo is a bit complex. What operation should be able to be reverted. And should it undo just undo one thing or many things and so on.
But MultiRename has undo.. It keep track of renames that can be reverted

Could a preview pane employ a 3rd party util to save work?  Something like a chunk of Irfanviews' source-code perhaps.  (Assuming the code is able to be shared etc.)
Preview thing is something I have on the list and want to add, However it is also a major one when it comes to implementation time. So do I add a feature that is very time consuming to develop or do I add this other 7-8 features instead.

Debugger - could the view field auto-scroll with the highlight bar?  At the moment it can disappear from view, requiring manual scrolling.  (Too lazy to step, scroll & think ???)
I will take a look and see if that can be fixed

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 23:18:04 »
You already have 1 lifetimes work I think!
I wonder how many features there are that I have not found yet? 
Adding lots of 'small' features could be better than 1 'big' feature.
Every user probably wants a unique version of MC, but this is your program & your time/effort so you must follow your inclinations.

I am getting a lot out of using MC (Far more than from other file managers).  Not just improving productivity but also seeing possibilities & adding personalization with colours & script. 

Ultimately I am grateful for the chance to learn with / use MC. 

Thanks for looking at the 'problems'.  ;)

zorglups

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:20:04 »
Hello,

I would love the FileSearch to remember if it was be expanded or not at the last search.
I spend my day searching through logs and abuse the ALT-F7.
I'm 2% of my time searching on filename and 98% searching on content.

Concerning the undo, the most interresting, in my opinion, would be a "undo close tab" as in Firefox.

Thank you very much for your time !!!

Pierre