Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Mathias (Author)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 203
1
Feature Requests and Suggestions / Re: Folder Paths - Copy or enter
« on: October 08, 2026, 19:33:43 »
Menu > Tools > To Clipboard, also the toolbar icon next to the 'eye' icon.. the clipboard with c:\ click on that to copy path, right click on it for more options

I think default shortcut for some of them is Ctrl+P and Ctrl+Shift+P, but it is shown there

2
Support and Feedback / Re: Folder Refreshes
« on: October 08, 2026, 19:31:29 »
I can't replicate that, Is it network folder. ? some network system have issue with notifying window that the filesystem is change.

3
Support and Feedback / Re: Bug in image viewer
« on: October 04, 2026, 16:24:59 »
I don't this so as long as it fits into memory.

4
Support and Feedback / Re: Bug in image viewer
« on: October 03, 2026, 11:36:26 »
Microsoft reader is a bit to strict. yes reading a value that is expected as SHORT as LONG can be a problem. But only if the value read actual is larger then MAX SHORT value. and this value can only be 0-6
But I guess Microsoft just follow the spec very strict.

However for the next version.. If it fails to loading an image because of metadata.. It will retry loading it without metadata.

5
Support and Feedback / Re: Desc fields in MultiButtons XML file
« on: October 02, 2026, 08:59:23 »
Why do you need to use text from language files for your personal config file.  You can just write the text,

6
Support and Feedback / Re: Bug in image viewer
« on: October 02, 2026, 07:04:43 »
WIC return WINCODEC_ERR_PROPERTYUNEXPECTEDTYPE when it tried to load the file.
Since it is not my code I can't dig down to exactly what,  AI also said it had bad metadata. and then I did not tell it what WIC also said that. so both of them say that.
I don't care exactly what in meta data is bad. It does not matter for me. It is not my code so I can't modify it anyway.
The code is part of Windows, All MC do is to use API calls provided by Windows. So if it is a bug in the loader. Then It is in Microsoft code. And I don't have access to that.

However, What I might be able to do is it add a fallback load method that will try to load the image without the metadata.


Told AI to analyze it again.. and to show where the error is, And it wrote script to validate it and gave this result
----------------------------------------------------
JPEG segments:
  FFE0 at 2 len 16 b'JFIF\x00\x01\x01\x01\x00H\x00H'
  FFFE at 20 len 63 b'CREATOR: gd-'
  FFE1 at 85 len 2005 b'Exif\x00\x00II*\x00\x08\x00'
  FFDB at 2092 len 67 b'\x00\x06\x04\x05\x06\x05\x04\x06\x06\x05\x06\x07'
  FFDB at 2161 len 67 b'\x01\x07\x07\x07\n\x08\n\x13\n\n\x13('
  FFC0 at 2230 len 17 b'\x08\x02\xbc\x01\xd3\x03\x01"\x00\x02\x11\x01'
  FFC4 at 2249 len 31 b'\x00\x00\x01\x05\x01\x01\x01\x01\x01\x01\x00\x00'
  FFC4 at 2282 len 181 b'\x10\x00\x02\x01\x03\x03\x02\x04\x03\x05\x05\x04'
  FFC4 at 2465 len 31 b'\x01\x00\x03\x01\x01\x01\x01\x01\x01\x01\x01\x01'
  FFC4 at 2498 len 181 b'\x11\x00\x02\x01\x02\x04\x04\x03\x04\x07\x05\x04'
  SOS at 2681

TIFF header b'II' magic 42

[IFD0] at offset 8, 2 entries
  0x0132 DateTime                     ASCII     count=20    @38      b'2012:03:07 10:23:20\x00'
  0x8769 ExifIFDPointer               LONG      count=1     inline   (58,)

[ExifIFD] at offset 58, 0 entries

[IFD1 (thumbnail)] at offset 64, 3 entries
  0x0103 Compression                  LONG      count=1     inline   (6,) <-- WRONG TYPE, expected SHORT
  0x0201 JPEGInterchangeFormat        LONG      count=1     inline   (106,)
  0x0202 JPEGInterchangeFormatLength  LONG      count=1     inline   (1891,)

PROBLEMS:
  IFD1 (thumbnail) tag 0x0103 Compression: LONG count=1 <-- WRONG TYPE, expected SHORT

parsed the file's EXIF data with a script. One thing is actually wrong: the thumbnail's Compression tag is stored with the wrong data type.

The file is small (14,665 bytes, 700×467). It was saved by PHP's GD library (the comment says CREATOR: gd-jpeg), with a short EXIF block added afterwards
┌───────────────────┬────────────────────────────────────┬─────────────────┬──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│       Block       │                Tag                 │    Stored as    │                        Status                        │
├───────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────┼──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ IFD0 (main image) │ DateTime = 2012:03:07 10:23:20     │ ASCII, 20 chars │ OK                                                   │
├───────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────┼──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ IFD0              │ ExifIFDPointer → offset 58         │ LONG            │ OK                                                   │
├───────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────┼──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ Exif IFD          │ (0 entries)                        │ —               │ Empty but parses fine                                │
├───────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────┼──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ IFD1 (thumbnail)  │ Compression = 6 (JPEG)             │ LONG            │ ❌ The EXIF/TIFF spec requires SHORT                 │
├───────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────┼──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ IFD1              │ JPEGInterchangeFormat = 106        │ LONG            │ OK                                                   │
├───────────────────┼────────────────────────────────────┼─────────────────┼──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
│ IFD1              │ JPEGInterchangeFormatLength = 1891 │ LONG            │ OK; the thumbnail fits exactly inside the EXIF block │
└───────────────────┴────────────────────────────────────┴─────────────────┴──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

The value itself (6 = JPEG) is correct; only the type is wrong. Lenient readers like libexif, exiftool and browsers just read the number. WIC checks the type against its schema and returns WINCODEC_ERR_PROPERTYUNEXPECTEDTYPE.

The rest of the file is fine: the JPEG structure, quantization and Huffman tables, and frame header are all valid.
----------------------------------------------------

and looking at http://www.fifi.org/doc/jhead/exif-e.html#IFD1Tags for spec

0x0103   Compression   unsigned short   1   Shows compression method. '1' means no compression, '6' means JPEG compression.

7
Beta Releases / Re: MC V17 Early Access PREVIEW 3
« on: October 01, 2026, 18:50:17 »
Don't find any issue with selection and checkboxes.. they are unselected.. Make sure you have configured it correctly.. that behavior is depending on Explorer Panel settings

8
Support and Feedback / Re: Desc fields in MultiButtons XML file
« on: October 01, 2026, 17:19:23 »
the language in the ButtonPanel.xml are only matching against language texts in Multicommander_lang_<lang>.xml file.. not Explorer Panel,


9
Support and Feedback / Re: Bug in image viewer
« on: October 01, 2026, 06:20:36 »
Might be able to add a workaround for it.. If It fails because of metadata.. It might be able to read file into memory.. strip metadata.. and then load the image.

10
Support and Feedback / Re: Bug in image viewer
« on: September 30, 2026, 18:07:32 »
MC do not decode jpg it self.. MC is using WIC  (Windows Imaging Component) So I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.

According to an AI analyze of the image
"The problem is its EXIF block (APP1, 2005 bytes). It contains a small thumbnail, and the thumbnail's Compression tag (0x0103) is written with type LONG instead of SHORT, which the EXIF spec requires."

11
Support and Feedback / Re: MC shuts down when copy pasting files
« on: September 29, 2026, 14:09:19 »
Thanks for your time. Unfortunaly uploading the dumpfile isnt working. I;m getting "502 bad gateway". The file is 375 mb, so quite big. Is there another way to send the file?

Mabye this works:
swisstransfer [dot] com/dl/01a0ed05-d34e-70d0-9dbd-60963d8dab8b

Thanks in advance.

375mb even when zipped ?  The server should support file up to a 1GB.  Not sure why you can't upload.


12
Beta Releases / Re: MC V17 Early Access PREVIEW 3
« on: September 28, 2026, 16:01:03 »
You running 3rd party app that replaces windows theme ? Because that does not look like what MC drawn by default, Guess that the font you use are to small.. You can tweak and add extra height to a row in Explorer panel settings under Tweaking

13
Beta Releases / Re: MC V17 Early Access PREVIEW 2
« on: September 28, 2026, 15:18:20 »
Preview #3 is out.   Download and test
https://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,5246.0.html

(Locking this forum. use new forum topic for Preview #3 stuff

14
Beta Releases / MC V17 Early Access PREVIEW 3
« on: September 28, 2026, 15:17:43 »
Preview #2

----------------------------
Version 17 is not ready for stable release anytime soon, But it already has a lot of new things that need testing

Not everything added to v17 might be included in the final release.
v17 contain many MAJOR rewrites and new addition.

  • File Tags/Labels and comments system
  • Folder Specific settings
  • New Keyboard customization system
  • Total rewrite of List/Grid UI component used for File List view, FolderTree view, Most List/Grid UI componets. Without this rewrite all the 3 items above would not be possible
  • MultiFileViewer can now show CSV/Parquet files as data in a grid. and if it is CSV it can be edited and modified and saved backed
  • Some extension in MC can now be developed using .Net/C#
  • Checksum extension now support Blake3 checksum algorithm

This is a early preview. Since it is a early preview it is time locked. and will stop to work after sep-30. (but a new updated version will be out.. )
However it will not be possible to auto update this version until in reached beta. there might be more 16.x releases with fixes before this is officially out

Since this is early preview. NOW is the time to come with feedback you want something to change. How a features with file tags or folder specific settings works or something like that.

Since this preview is developed separately from v16.x, When a new preview is released, it might not have all the fixes or addition that 16.x has. Right not V17 Preview has everything 16.2 build 3205 has. (I think)

Read more and see images here
https://multicommander.com/Articles/multicommander-v17-preview-1

Download portable version here (64bit only) (Preview 3)
https://multicommander.com/files/updates/preview/MultiCommander_x64_Portable_(17.0.0.3415).zip






Test and leave feedback
Please do testing specially on Tags.. 
 How does tags work for you,  What missing with tag.. How can it be improved.  What does not work with tags. and so on.

Changes
v17 PREVIEW 3 (Build 3415) - 2026-09-28

Around 25+ Changes since Preview 2

  FIXED - Folder specific settings dialog changes
  ADDED - MultiFileViewer - Can now specify number of rows to skip when reading CSV data.
  ADDED - Shortcuts can now be assigned to Edit comment and Clear Comment
  FIXED - CSV Data grid now handle many columns better.
  ADDED - Shortcuts can now be assigned to Tags, Tags  popup
  FIXED - Rendering of file tags, Will not overwrite entire filename
  FIXED - Range selection (shift+click) issue.
  ADDED - Some new icons to be used in file tags
  ADDED - Support for converting and saving images into WebP format
  FIXED - Many other minor fixes.
  + All fixes in v16.5 up to build 3222

15
Beta Releases / Re: MC V17 Early Access PREVIEW 2
« on: September 28, 2026, 14:17:34 »
It is still impossible for me to fix something I can't reproduce, All I can do is write done a note about it and keep and eye out for it when/If I see it happening.

Can't you add an option to permanently lock the columns into a fixed [current] size please, that would make my life a whole lot easier ! It's so hard to make adjustments to every tab I open all the time… Because I can't use MC in its current state, it's too cumbersome & painstaking to re-adjust the columns when they spontaneously change size in every tab ! :D
I don't understand why you need to do that. I have no issue with it. I set column setup once. save as default and then it is that when I reopen it.

however there are some changes around the column layout already added to the preview.. I thought that was already added to preview2. maybe it was not.  Maybe should release a preview3

16
Support and Feedback / Re: MC shuts down when copy pasting files
« on: September 25, 2026, 08:45:58 »
that is not a issue that has been reported before. Sound like something keeps a hold on the files before they let MC continue with them.. Maybe the security software is checking the files.
When it crash, Does it sends a crash report.. and if it does , tell me the crash Id and I can investigte the crash manually..
if it hangs..
Do this to create a dump of MC when it hang.
https://multicommander.com/Docs/troubleshooting-hang#creating-dump

and upload at https://multicommander.com/support/upload

Then I might see in the dump file what MC is waiting for

17
Support and Feedback / Re: Linked Navigation
« on: September 24, 2026, 22:32:08 »
You link panel 1 with panel 2
you enter folder MyFolder in panel 1.
if Panel 2 has that folder.. It will also enter it

18
Yes.. This is already fixed in the next coming version.

19
Sorry, I haven’t made any fixes for this yet because I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue.

Until I can reproduce it, I won’t be able to reliably identify the cause or verify that a fix actually works.
I also don’t have the time to spend several hours trying different scenarios in an attempt to trigger the issue without any additional information.

20
Support and Feedback / Re: Empty Tip of the Day displayed blank
« on: September 20, 2026, 09:22:16 »
The tip of the days are not updated by the update tool.

21
Beta Releases / Re: MC V17 Early Access PREVIEW 2
« on: September 18, 2026, 07:28:47 »
1. When multiple tags are set, they can completely overlap a filename.

2.Tags can be toggled via toolbar, but the icons' states aren't synchronized with the real tags state. I mean toolbar buttons are always drawn unpressed. I suggest make the buttons of active tags pressed.

3. I think it would be helpful to implement some kind of dropdown list with tags. E.g. on Shift+F6 one can invoke in-place rename. So it could be something similar, but with tag list instead of edit box.

4. Tags toolbar is limited. Personally, I would like to see customizable toolbars which can be docked/sticked to any side of MC. At the moment, only button panel is dockable. The displays are wide, why not use horizontal space?

1. Yes I notice.. that will be fixed

2. Toggle, Or added or remove.. depending on key you hold, So it is not just toggle, anyway,, Syncing state, I don't think so. it would require it to sync each time focus or selection is changed., lots of extra compute just for changing focus.  You see state after the file with badges or icons or as text in extra column. I think that is enough. at least for now

3. Dropdown.  interesting idea, Maybe, will have to check if it is possible, Hmm I was thinking about having a popup that was shown on special key. but Dropdown might also work.

4. Rewrite of entire toolbar system is not in the scope of this release. I got it as a "nice to have" thing on my todo list for future improvements.. but that is a major separate task

22
Kind of impossible to fix something I can't replicate

23
Beta Releases / Re: MC V17 Early Access PREVIEW 2
« on: September 17, 2026, 07:54:11 »
Can anyone please do testing of Tags..  what missing with tag.. how can it be improved.  what does not work with tags. and so on.


24
Feature Requests and Suggestions / Re: Filter on typing
« on: September 16, 2026, 22:57:48 »
That would make it kind of in conflict with type to search and type to commandline field.. Not sure I like the idea to include another thing connected to typing.

25
Support and Feedback / Re: Multiviewer and powershell formatter
« on: September 16, 2026, 12:37:59 »
I guess you update from older.. maybe something went bad in update and did not replace the file or something
Just download the portable and take the file from that.. (MultiFileViewer\ColorFormatting.xml) the fixed file is 25 364 bytes..

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 203