Author Topic: Copy Window issues  (Read 5353 times)

homeboy

• View Profile
Copy Window issues
« on: November 15, 2023, 14:15:31 »
Hello,

I am pretty new and I already start to appreciate the tool (13.1 portable), thanks!

One of my main need of such tool is copy/move function, because embedded one in Windows is too poor.

After a day of using it, copying and moving a million of files/folders (not kidding), I have some report:
- maybe an option in the settings or always use long path, it may solve some of the issues I got
- some files were not moved, nothing happened: I guess the file was just not detected by the tool because of the long path (<4096 but definitely higher than 260 chars)
- maybe options in the settings to avoid a question during a very long process can make the copy/move continuing even not in front of the screen, I had such questions:
  * read-only / hidden / system files
  * long path detected and question to retry the copy using long path handle
  * several errors
- there is an option in the settings to ask confirmation when deleting some special files (RO, H, S attributes), I like to have it enabled. But during a move, when deleting the source after the copy, I am asked if I want to delete it. In a case of a move, there is no need to ask. You can have a separate option to handle this but I am afraid it can be confusing for users? Once again, the goal is to avoid a pause during a big move because of the question
- I reached some move errors (59, "incomplete file, delete?", I did not test "no space left" error yet) which cause the move to hang (pause/resume buttons not working, move not continuing). I had no choice to cancel the Windows and restart. I also had a "file path not found" error, maybe a long file path issue.
- As there is a file list, maybe you can keep the file there with the error caused during the move/copy, do not close the copy/move dialog if the list is not empty (so there was an error) and expand it so the user can quickly see some issues happened, correct the issues and retry the copy/move. On my side, I often need to retry because of a no space left issue or the destination/source unavailable for some time. This also prevents the copy/move to stop displaying the error (this also can be an option in the settings to leave such choice to the user, displaying the error immediately or use the file list)
- the copy/move windows is not resizable, it may be useful (or have a popup) to display the full path and name of the source and destination files

Thanks!

homeboy

• View Profile
Re: Copy Window issues
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 07:51:21 »
Hello,
Just a few more informations:
- I experienced an error when moving the copy dialog right away after launching the copy/move and just before getting the confirmation dialog (some kind of unhandled exception)
- I also experienced an error while moving files from a complete Windows profile (I think it was the error 59) from a network share to an external USB disk. It might be some special files. I had to restart 2 or 3 times the move operation to move all the files but I cannot say if the error lost some of the files
Thanks again, I hope this can help on improving the copy part of this product

homeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 09:52:51 »
Hi,
I tried the latest version and I obtain such attached error window, note sure the error code is always the same one. For sure, this error occurs when the file cannot be copied (protected windows file?) and in this copy used a UNC network source.
I am not sure, but it is also possible that this error occurs when moving files from an UNC path to a local one?
Thanks

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2024, 10:20:45 »
Hello,
Just a few more informations:
- I experienced an error when moving the copy dialog right away after launching the copy/move and just before getting the confirmation dialog (some kind of unhandled exception)
- I also experienced an error while moving files from a complete Windows profile (I think it was the error 59) from a network share to an external USB disk. It might be some special files. I had to restart 2 or 3 times the move operation to move all the files but I cannot say if the error lost some of the files
Thanks again, I hope this can help on improving the copy part of this product

Without more precises information on what cause the copy issue it is hard to fix anything. Was you running as admin ? Can it be permissions error,

Win Error 58 is ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP (The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2024, 10:24:38 »
Hi,
I tried the latest version and I obtain such attached error window, note sure the error code is always the same one. For sure, this error occurs when the file cannot be copied (protected windows file?) and in this copy used a UNC network source.
I am not sure, but it is also possible that this error occurs when moving files from an UNC path to a local one?
Thanks

Windows Error 1920 - ERROR_CANT_ACCESS_FILE - The file cannot be accessed by the system.

Don't think it is becuse of protected. then the error code is Access denied. That error code is not common, I dont think I ever seen it.

Searching online for it. It look like you get that error code for I/O error.. HW issues or FileSystem Issues with device

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2024, 12:58:28 »
MultiCommander is not suitable for synchronizing or backing up Windows profile files. You should use backup software for that purpose. Many files are in use and cannot be copied. For synchronizing configuration files of programs, I use Beyond Compare. However, even with that, you should not copy, back up, or synchronize the entire Windows profile.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2024, 09:53:03 »
MultiCommander is not suitable for synchronizing or backing up Windows profile files. You should use backup software for that purpose. Many files are in use and cannot be copied. For synchronizing configuration files of programs, I use Beyond Compare. However, even with that, you should not copy, back up, or synchronize the entire Windows profile.

Problem with copying the Windows folders is that lots of files there are very special. For example there are lots of duplicated files that are filesystem hardlinks. So copying a Windows folder will mess that up. and also take a lot more space the the original folder.
Also some area is protected and Windows will virtualize some folders unless you run the program in a special mode. Backup of system drive is best done with doing a image of the drives.

homeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2024, 18:43:25 »
Hi,
I copy/move windows profile just to ensure I have all the files that might end up there ; it is not intended to be restored (so it is not a backup).
Some of the files where "special" Windows ones, and some errors might also be due to the file not accessible for a while (overload of either the source or the destination).

I report the errors because I think you should catch them to handle them because when I tried it, I was stuck (no retry/skip worked), I had to abandon the window.
I only try to help to improve the product and be constructive, there is no critism, this is a very good tool!

Thanks for have taken into account my feedbacks

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2024, 22:20:33 »
Hi,
I copy/move windows profile just to ensure I have all the files that might end up there ; it is not intended to be restored (so it is not a backup).
Some of the files where "special" Windows ones, and some errors might also be due to the file not accessible for a while (overload of either the source or the destination).

I report the errors because I think you should catch them to handle them because when I tried it, I was stuck (no retry/skip worked), I had to abandon the window.
I only try to help to improve the product and be constructive, there is no critism, this is a very good tool!

Thanks for have taken into account my feedbacks

Hardware/Filesystem issue like that are hard to test without having devices with those issues on. Normally the auto error handing will handled and auto skip error. So this error must happen in a situation that is out of that process control.
that is very strange. If you see the error again. Look in the fileoperation log (Ctrl+L) and see if its report any more information. Sometimes where is more information on what it tries to do that failed.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 22:23:30 by Mathias (Author) »

homeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2024, 19:16:15 »
I tried CTRL+L but nothing really interesting except:
2024-07-02 18:56:45.049 [7656] WaitForState : wait for 6 , current state is 2
I got it several times, but then I abandonned the copy.
I tried again the copy but no more error and copy did not worked.
I also obtained the list of errors once, and all the files were flagged as "protected". I tried again with protected files forced but the move was still stuck.
In the day, I also had a ".htaccess" file which stuck a folder deletion.
I did not had the error box today, so nothing much to say here.
I did not pushed to far the tests because I wonder if once the copy/move/delete window had an issue, maybe all other tests are useless because of something stuck till I restart the program.

Note : using a portable version, not installed
Note 2 : I am using the application using a standard user, and also another instance (in a separate program folder) using administrator elevation

I also saw you have made a bunch of changes in the latest version regarding copy/move options to avoid the window to get stuck, I have not played too much with it but it is geatly appreciated

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2024, 22:21:38 »
I tried CTRL+L but nothing really interesting except:
2024-07-02 18:56:45.049 [7656] WaitForState : wait for 6 , current state is 2
I got it several times, but then I abandonned the copy.
I tried again the copy but no more error and copy did not worked.
I also obtained the list of errors once, and all the files were flagged as "protected". I tried again with protected files forced but the move was still stuck.
In the day, I also had a ".htaccess" file which stuck a folder deletion.
I did not had the error box today, so nothing much to say here.
I did not pushed to far the tests because I wonder if once the copy/move/delete window had an issue, maybe all other tests are useless because of something stuck till I restart the program.

Note : using a portable version, not installed
Note 2 : I am using the application using a standard user, and also another instance (in a separate program folder) using administrator elevation

I also saw you have made a bunch of changes in the latest version regarding copy/move options to avoid the window to get stuck, I have not played too much with it but it is geatly appreciated

WaitForState is not an error. it is information on what it does. waiting for the write process to complete before continue.

Hard to say why you have issues. normally there are information about the errors in the logs.
Might be that it gets stuck waiting for Windows to complete a write request or something. But hard to say with limited information on what is happening

homeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2024, 07:04:43 »
Can I have the log in a debug mode so you can see where it stops?
I'll try to report the CTRL+L when I have the error message, not sure I will be able to reproduce it this week