Author Topic: MultiScript Name selection excluding file extension?  (Read 28710 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Re: MultiScript Name selection excluding file extension?
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 22:19:47 »
I'm only partially grasping how far you can go with user declared variables.  Should have looked more closely.   :-\ ::)
I was struck by $pos++ which reminded me of regex.  I know you can use ++ e.g. 
for( $n = 0; $n < $items; $n++ )
but your use here makes me see this functionality has much broader application than I had been considering.

($text[$pos]," ")
I wasn't sure that you could (or how to) add a "<value>" that related to [$pos] - that was something I needed to find out, as you must realize.

There must be a lot of flexible utility in the scripting forms which I don't yet perceive.   You have made me look at the possibilities of creating unique 'tools' as variables within the framework.  I hadn't seen this part of the pattern, semantically speaking.  I'm not thinking big enough in that sense.
What I recall of Basic, was very restricted in comparison.  I have been thinking in those terms & looking for a specific pre-made tool.  This is more granular & I think actually allows me a lot more freedom than Basic ever could have done.
Hopefully I will have a few hours to look at all this again tomorrow.  Need to study each step a few times, then experiment a bit.

Lots of possibilities, so thanks for the lesson Mathias.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 22:44:57 »
I'm only partially grasping how far you can go with user declared variables.  Should have looked more closely.   :-\ ::)
I was struck by $pos++ which reminded me of regex.  I know you can use ++ e.g. 
for( $n = 0; $n < $items; $n++ )
but your use here makes me see this functionality has much broader application than I had been considering.
$pos++ is the same as $pos = $pos + 1;

It is a shortcut that most languages supports

There must be a lot of flexible utility in the scripting forms which I don't yet perceive.   You have made me look at the possibilities of creating unique 'tools' as variables within the framework.  I hadn't seen this part of the pattern, semantically speaking.  I'm not thinking big enough in that sense.
What I recall of Basic, was very restricted in comparison.  I have been thinking in those terms & looking for a specific pre-made tool.  This is more granular & I think actually allows me a lot more freedom than Basic ever could have done.
The syntax I use is very similar to JavaScript/C/Php. It was never ment to be so full featured language. was only meant to be simple like batch (.bat) script. But it grew.

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 09:18:07 »
$pos++ is the same as $pos = $pos + 1;
Useful to know.

I think MS shows that you have grasped the art of programming.  The fact you are making something inorganic grow shows real creativity.
Hopefully I will be able to learn from that.  ;)

I will have to make a few more simple  & 'unnecessary' scripts to deepen my understanding so I can make something useful. 
Generally MC is doing a lot for me & I enjoy playing around with it.  I am grateful for the time & effort you have put into it.