Author Topic: Nitpick: Program icon  (Read 12055 times)

Oliver

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Nitpick: Program icon
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:57:08 »
Hello,

First of all I like to thank you for the great tool that MultiCommander is.

One minor thing that bothers me, and it's really a nitpick only, is the program icon.
For my taste it looks a bit dated. And as I have MultiCommander opened all day it is always visible in the Windows task bar.

For my personal use I have borrowed the nice and modern looking logo from the homepage and patched the MultiCommander executable to include it.
I really like the result which you can find in the attached screenshots.

I was wondering if you could replace the current icon with the modern logo in future versions of MultiCommander?
Perhaps we could put up a poll for that?

Best,
Oliver

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Nitpick: Program icon
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:29:50 »
Hello,

First of all I like to thank you for the great tool that MultiCommander is.

One minor thing that bothers me, and it's really a nitpick only, is the program icon.
For my taste it looks a bit dated. And as I have MultiCommander opened all day it is always visible in the Windows task bar.

For my personal use I have borrowed the nice and modern looking logo from the homepage and patched the MultiCommander executable to include it.
I really like the result which you can find in the attached screenshots.

I was wondering if you could replace the current icon with the modern logo in future versions of MultiCommander?
Perhaps we could put up a poll for that?

Best,
Oliver

Yes I been planing on changing it. Problem is that I need to have the icon in a lots of sizes for the app icon. (from 16x16 up to 48 ( preferable even up to 128/256) so that it will look good even on large displays with high DPI)
The Website icon is only in two sizes. shrinking it to the smallest appicon size will also make it look strange.
The icon need to be redrawn, Problem is that I do not have any artistic bone in me.
But if anyone that are good at drawing icons, You are more then welcome to create some.

Oliver

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 15:02:28 »
Hi Mathias,

While I'm also not very proficient at Photoshop I tried my best to recreate the homepage logo in all the necessary resolutions.

I attached a zip file which contains:

- ICO-File with embedded resolutions of 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128 and 256x256
 - PNGs
 - PSD

I hope you'll find these to your liking.

Best,
Oliver

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:07:11 »
Nice.. I will try them out.

Teo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 06:18:55 »
Even new icon looks very nice, unfortunately it becomes very small in system tray (much smaller than old one), so it is now more difficult to click on it if one using “minimize to tray”. Would it be possible to have a choice which icon displays in tray?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:02:27 »
The size is only 1 pixel smaller. Sorry I dont really see an issue with it.
Even if the icon was blank. It would work.  You do not have to click on the "colored pixels" and the entire click area for the icon in the tray is a lot larger then the icon.

Teo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:14:20 »
Well, this not even an issue, but little inconvenience. The inconvenience subject  is clearly described in your previous message as:
"area for the icon in the tray is a lot larger then the icon".

I surely understand that it is possible to click on area without painting which is an icon placeholder. However for me it is an aim of icon to make this placeholder convenient.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 11:23:19 »
The click area on the tray is a lot larger then the maximum icon size. it is not possible to fill it all.. icon is 16x16 click area are around 20x26.
and a lot bigger in the tray icon popup list (hidden tray icons)

The icon have change a bit for the next version. But it is still the same size..

It is not possible to make it taller without also making it wider, And it is already as wide as possible.
It is only 1px difference in height , I don't fell the inconvenience it it my self and I'm sorry that you fell it is to small for you,
I think the new one look better the the old, So I'm keeping it. 

You can always hack the .exe with a resource editor and replace the icon your self if it is too annoying

Teo

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 11:39:59 »
You can always hack the .exe with a resource editor and replace the icon your self if it is too annoying

Could you please include old icon into exe then? For now it is not available, please see attachment.

Oliver

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 18:08:09 »
Hi Mathias

I'm glad to hear that you like the new icon.
One thing I noticed on the website is the new favicon in the new style.
Unfortunately it has some heavy aliasing at the edges of the logo, probably because of the transparency settings.

Find attached a 16x16 favicon where the edges look much smoother. See preview image attached.

Best,
Oliver