Author Topic: How to change Preview Tooltip and Preview Panel style?..  (Read 316 times)

tbone

• View Profile
Hello! o)

One more Styling-Question.. o)
Is there a way to change the look of what is wrapped around the preview template definitions?
The preview template definitions seem to be used for both, the preview tooltip and the preview panel.

I think I like the look of the tooltip, but the black background and margins being used in the preview panel look kind of odd to me. The black color looks like a left over or artefact from previously using a dark theme or something, but I did not mess with the themes yet, if I remember correctly o). Can these be colors and margins be changed someshow?

Thank you! o)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: How to change Preview Tooltip and Preview Panel style?..
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 17:46:43 »
I don't think so.
The color for the popup is from the tooltip thingy. and I dont think it is customizable.
The preview panel is dark only in dark mode I believe. it follows that.

What shown inside the preview drawing area can be changed in the Preview templates. But not all properties are exposed

Also showing text content is different from the popup and panel preview, The popup is just plain text..  the panel view is the entire multiviewer that shown the data. so it support  highlighthing and lots more stuff
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 17:49:34 by Mathias (Author) »

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2024, 00:03:15 »
Hello Matthias,

thank you for your response. I tried to explicitly change to dark mode and back, but no way. The preview keeps being black, the switch between light/dark mode ruined all my font settings and probably some more, but I had a copy of the folder.. so I was back to where I left off very quickly.

I don't get how the preview template is related to the multi viewer. I can add random text to a preview template and it will show in the preview tooltip and in the preview panel, but setting a FontSize e.g., only affects the preview tooltip font size. I also found a font setting in..

MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Config\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\MultiFileViewer.xml, but it had no effect.
MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Config\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\ColorFormatting.xml

There are 2 more config files for the same plugin, looking very similar, why do these exist in 2 places, do you know?
MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\MultiFileViewer.xml
MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\ColorFormatting.xml

This plugin also seems to appear under various names, as "MultiFileViewer" and "File Viewer" in "Manage Plugins and Extension.."
and as "MultiDataViewer" in "File Type Setup..". Is this the same plugin each time?

In general I get a bit confused, if you find the time to answer, thank you.. o)

1) "Preview Customization.. " in the menu, it allows to map preview templates to file extensions, so this is (mainly) for the tooltip, right?
     It somehow affects the preview panel as well though. Since any text entered in a template, will also show up in the preview panel.

2) You said: "the panel view is the entire multiviewer that shown the data. so it support  highlighthing and lots more stuff"
    It seems to me that "MultiDataViewer" under Menu -> "File Type Setup.. " is the viewer, which opens in a separate window only?
    Or is there a way to make it work in the preview panel as well?

3) Is there a compatible Total Commander (or anything) plugin, that would allow setting a Font when previewing text files in the preview panel?
    Maybe there is something that allows to handle images a bit better (quickly zoom in/out in the preview panel e.g.)?

When speaking of "Preview Panel", I mean what the MC GUI is declaring as "Preview Panel", shown as tab in one of the two file displays.

Thanks! o)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 01:12:40 by tbone »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2024, 07:57:35 »
Hello Matthias,

thank you for your response. I tried to explicitly change to dark mode and back, but no way. The preview keeps being black, the switch between light/dark mode ruined all my font settings and probably some more, but I had a copy of the folder.. so I was back to where I left off very quickly.

I don't get how the preview template is related to the multi viewer. I can add random text to a preview template and it will show in the preview tooltip and in the preview panel, but setting a FontSize e.g., only affects the preview tooltip font size. I also found a font setting in..

MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Config\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\MultiFileViewer.xml, but it had no effect.
MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Config\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\ColorFormatting.xml

There are 2 more config files for the same plugin, looking very similar, why do these exist in 2 places, do you know?
MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\MultiFileViewer.xml
MultiCommander_v14.1.0.3017_x64_portable\Extensions\MultiFileViewer\ColorFormatting.xml

This plugin also seems to appear under various names, as "MultiFileViewer" and "File Viewer" in "Manage Plugins and Extension.."
and as "MultiDataViewer" in "File Type Setup..". Is this the same plugin each time?

In general I get a bit confused, if you find the time to answer, thank you.. o)

1) "Preview Customization.. " in the menu, it allows to map preview templates to file extensions, so this is (mainly) for the tooltip, right?
     It somehow affects the preview panel as well though. Since any text entered in a template, will also show up in the preview panel.

2) You said: "the panel view is the entire multiviewer that shown the data. so it support  highlighthing and lots more stuff"
    It seems to me that "MultiDataViewer" under Menu -> "File Type Setup.. " is the viewer, which opens in a separate window only?
    Or is there a way to make it work in the preview panel as well?

3) Is there a compatible Total Commander (or anything) plugin, that would allow setting a Font when previewing text files in the preview panel?
    Maybe there is something that allows to handle images a bit better (quickly zoom in/out in the preview panel e.g.)?

When speaking of "Preview Panel", I mean what the MC GUI is declaring as "Preview Panel", shown as tab in one of the two file displays.

Thanks! o)

The config files in the Extension folders are the default.. the other are used if they exists. (and are created from the default when settings are changed/saved)
Preview panel is quick new. So there are still things to add on the to-do list.

1) No it should affect both..  it is what template to use for different file types. should affect both.

2) It is also used a a viewer but then support more.. core part of it is used in preview panel when showing text content.

3) not currently

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2024, 09:01:22 »

The black color looks like a left over or artefact from previously using a dark theme or something, but I did not mess with the themes yet, if I remember correctly o). Can these be colors and margins be changed someshow?

Yes the black part should not be black in None-DarkMode. I will look into that

tbone

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 10:01:31 »
If you could look into that at some point, that would be nice of course! o)

The black parts in the preview panel somehow degrade the look. That said, I don't think that a file manager needs to have any eye candy, like transparency effects and things like that, but the general look should make you feel comfortable - things need to match visually. I don't even need icons for the file and folder listing, files being coloured by file type is much more useful if you ask me.

I think Multi Commander can be adjusted to make a very decent appearance, I like the look of the file panels (after some fiddling! o). There are also some sensible settings to control the selection and its appearance and some settings to adjust handling the mouse. That's better than in a lot of other file managers, I have seen them all. o)

Thank you for working on this program! o)