Author Topic: Colouring of items in focus  (Read 12113 times)

DrVolodya

• View Profile
Colouring of items in focus
« on: February 18, 2014, 17:07:01 »
I've read a few posts here on how it is supposed to work, but whatever I do I cannot make changes to the way items in focus (or selected or both) are coloured.  The are always in red with default background. What I'm trying to get is a highlighting using darker background. Everything else in colours seem to work as expected (i.e. colour rules etc) including backgrounds.
I'm attaching a screenshot of what I'm trying to set up.
Great file manager though! Thanks.

Using v4.1 build 1620 64bit portable on W7x64

btw, the URLs for older version downloads are all broken (http://multicommander.com/files/updates/old/MultiCommander_x64_%284.0.0.1611%29.exe)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 17:30:40 by DrVolodya »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Colouring of items in focus
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 18:07:58 »
Have you enable top level background settings ?

[.] Override standard Windows Background

This need to be enabled for any subsettings under it to also be active

DrVolodya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 18:15:51 »
I had tried this before, but just to be sure did it again now and restarted the MC and still nothing. I thought this setting (override w background was for the panel background?

DrVolodya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 18:21:35 »
this is what I'm using in the Total Commander and what I'd like to set up in MC

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 18:35:59 »
I had tried this before, but just to be sure did it again now and restarted the MC and still nothing. I thought this setting (override w background was for the panel background?

It is very strange..  It works for me when I tries it.
(I was wrong about the "Override standard windows background" it does not need to be enabled.)
I enable "Use file specified background color", Then edit the color for focus and uncheck "Use default background color" and change the background..  Then OK.
then apply on the setting panel.
And now the color is changed.

Maybe it fails to save the config (Maybe you do not have permissions)
Press Ctrl+L and look at the bottom of the application log see if there is an error about not able to save. (It should show a dialog about that also , but maybe not )

Can you change other settings/color in the settings panel ?

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 18:41:12 »
Here's screenshot of my settings.

I may attach ExplorerPanel.xml file for comparison
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 18:43:10 by Jungle »

DrVolodya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 19:20:23 »
ok, thanks for this!
It turned out I was misinterpreting "Focus" and "Selected and in focus". I assumed that clicking on a file or folder makes in in focus only, but according to this color setting this also makes it selected and moving up/down the list makes items focused+selected as well. Now, it doesn't matter which way it is so long I can make it work and I can!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 19:45:26 »
ok, thanks for this!
It turned out I was misinterpreting "Focus" and "Selected and in focus". I assumed that clicking on a file or folder makes in in focus only, but according to this color setting this also makes it selected and moving up/down the list makes items focused+selected as well. Now, it doesn't matter which way it is so long I can make it work and I can!
Since you mention TC. I assumed that you used commander styled setup since it is also what TC uses.

Focus vs "Selected and Focus" is depended on settings. If you selected commander styled setup then it would only be focus because the selected items are not the same as a item in focus.
if you have Explorer Styled setup then focus item is also always selected so then you might need select and focus settings.

DrVolodya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 19:57:27 »
Perfect explanation!
Many thanks!
I have Explore for mouse and Commander for everything else. I don't like right click select. It all makes sense now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 20:05:13 by DrVolodya »