Author Topic: Delete or not retain Find search terms or locations?  (Read 7854 times)

koemyndo

• View Profile
Delete or not retain Find search terms or locations?
« on: June 21, 2014, 19:46:11 »
Searching the web or using the forum search didn't find anything on this (I'm surprised).
I'm using an older MC version - generally works fine - v3.2.1 64bit.  Though updating is fine. 
When I use File > Find, it retains search data - across sessions, under "Look For" & "Look In."

Isn't there a way to have it not retain this data, especially between sessions?  If not, probably should be.

It retains (in drop box) search terms entered & locations searched.
Using "Cleanup leftover user data" didn't clear this data.  May be a pref setting, but couldn't find it.

Even when I enter a new search term, it seems to retain an older one?  It would seem there'd be a "clear search terms" (from cache) selection on the Find UI and / or a "Don't Retain Search / Location Terms" (between sessions) in MC's settings or other menus.

Other question:
Getting the "Find Files" pop up UI is sometimes iffy & which pane - L or R - it'll use to display results seems sporadic.  I'm probably doing it wrong.
http://multicommander.com/docs/file-search  Nothing I see here about removing / not saving previous search data.

Is the way that getting the full Find Files UI to pop up, to 1st open it using File menu, then to use it again, click on the tab for the Find box (if not focused), then Ctrl + F. Using F-3 always seems to "blank out" the other remaining pane that was displaying the file tree & open a 2nd Find tab, in the opposite pane, than was opened in the 1st Find tab.

Note:  Find Files under File menu & File Search under Extensions menu pop up the same UI, appearing to have same function.
Shouldn't the descriptions / titles for the functions be the same in each menu?  I'm not sure why they're duplicated (seemingly).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Delete or not retain Find search terms or locations?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 22:24:16 »
When I use File > Find, it retains search data - across sessions, under "Look For" & "Look In."
Isn't there a way to have it not retain this data, especially between sessions?  If not, probably should be.
And before when it did not remember it people complained about that :)

It retains (in drop box) search terms entered & locations searched.
Using "Cleanup leftover user data" didn't clear this data.  May be a pref setting, but couldn't find it.
That is strange, It is saved in location that this option clear. I will take a look at that
Are you running normal installed version or portable version ?

Even when I enter a new search term, it seems to retain an older one?  It would seem there'd be a "clear search terms" (from cache) selection on the Find UI and / or a "Don't Retain Search / Location Terms" (between sessions) in MC's settings or other menus.
You can reset and clear everything in the dialog with Alt+Z, however it does not clear history

Other question:
Is the way that getting the full Find Files UI to pop up, to 1st open it using File menu, then to use it again, click on the tab for the Find box (if not focused), then Ctrl + F. Using F-3 always seems to "blank out" the other remaining pane that was displaying the file tree & open a 2nd Find tab, in the opposite pane, than was opened in the 1st Find tab.
Normally search is open in the "Not" active tab with "look in" set to the path of the active tab. It is shown in the inactive tab becuse often you want to have both the search and the location where you search in open at the same time.

Note:  Find Files under File menu & File Search under Extensions menu pop up the same UI, appearing to have same function.
Shouldn't the descriptions / titles for the functions be the same in each menu?  I'm not sure why they're duplicated (seemingly).
They are the same.. But search is an Extension/Plugin and you can have multiple extension that do search and the search that is open from Menu > FindFiles is the search extension that is set as the default search extension.. (right now there is only one..)

koemyndo

• View Profile
Re: Delete or not retain Find search terms or locations?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 00:11:02 »
Thanks for looking into it & for confirmation on using search in 2 panes.
I'm using portable version - in Vista hm prem, SP2.

As for "some people complained about it not retaining search data," - that's understandable - for certain times.  But always keeping it, w/ no option to prevent it, isn't necessarily a good idea.  Depends on if others might use the same machine or the what the exact search terms were. 

Even several much smaller (& larger)  utilities I use now have option or ability to either clear recent files, last folder, search terms, etc., on demand and / or the option to not retain themat all.

Like, Notepad++ now has item to "clear recent files" from the Recent Files menu.

You can reset and clear everything in the dialog with Alt+Z, however it does not clear history
OK, but that's "resetting most things," not everything.  :D