Author Topic: Inline rename works strange  (Read 6661 times)

halifax80

• View Profile
Inline rename works strange
« on: October 16, 2014, 17:41:30 »
I experience a strange behavior with inline rename. When I press F2 on a file in the explorer panel, I can rename it inline. (I can't remember if F2 is the default key or I customized it to be F2.)
However, when at least two files are selected in the same folder, and I press F2, I get a popup to move the files to the other panel.

The steps to reproduce the problem, using the attached screenshot:
  • Put 3 files in a folder
  • Select 2 files
  • Position the cursor on the 3rd (unselected) file. On the attached screenshot it is Test.txt.
  • Press your key for inline rename (for me it is F2)
  • Instead of rename, you get a popup to move the selected files
This problem does not happen if only 1 file is selected

I would appreciate any help.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Inline rename works strange
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 19:12:22 »
No it works as it should

Move and Rename are the same and it do not ask to move to another folder. As you see in the dialog there is no target path.. so they will be moved (renamed) to the same location.. (unless you choose to enter another location)

When you are renaming multiple files you will move them to a new name based on existing name.  That are what the * in the target name is for.
The first * is for filename the second is for file extension.
So if you select 2 files (myfile1.txt and myfile2.txt) and rename when and in the target name dialog you add "_bak" so it is "*.*_bak" then they are renamed to myfile1.txt_bak and myfile2.txt_bak

halifax80

• View Profile
Re: Inline rename works strange
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 14:08:23 »
Hi Mathias,
Oh, I see. I did not know about this. So basically you do not only get inline rename, but inline multi-rename, as well. Clever!