Author Topic: two questions (links and Multi Commander msi installer)  (Read 10370 times)

dgpoczta

• View Profile
two questions (links and Multi Commander msi installer)
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:34:01 »
Hello everyone, i have got two question,

1) i have links on my serwer (windows 2008 server) made by programs (awxLink and NTFS Links 1.3)
then i mapping server disk on my windows client (win7, win8) and that links doesnt work :(

the problem occur only when i making links directly on my server and then publish it (by mapped disk ) on windows client

2) can i find somewhere msi installation file of multi commander ?

best regards

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: two questions (links and Multi Commander msi installer)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:01:01 »
1. There are many types of file system links..  Junctions, Hardlinks, and SymLinks.
I don't know what type of links you created. But some of them have restriction and some of them do not work over volumes.

MC will follow links if possible..
You can also create filesystem links with MC from the tool menu > file links > create links (and from script)

2. MC do not use MSI installation package. It is using another installation system.

dgpoczta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:28:58 »
1. i use Junctions

it wont work with multicommander ?

best regards

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:41:30 »
To avoid circular loops on the file system. MC will resolve the link and follow it to the target. instead of using the virtual path.

For example on Win7/Win8 "C:\Documents and Settings" is a junctions to "C:\Users" so if you go into "C:\Documents and Settings" you will end up in "C:\Users"

dgpoczta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 11:59:11 »
To avoid circular loops on the file system. MC will resolve the link and follow it to the target. instead of using the virtual path.

For example on Win7/Win8 "C:\Documents and Settings" is a junctions to "C:\Users" so if you go into "C:\Documents and Settings" you will end up in "C:\Users"

But my problem is that MC doesnt follow the link. When i click on link it move me allways to c:\
for example:
i have mapped dysk as a O: (this is disk mapped from my windows server)
on this disk i have link which point to another folder on server
so i can see in MC:
test -> e:\home\user\documents (e: is because its real partition but on server only)
when i click on test link it move me to c:\ instead documents folder on the server

best regards

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 12:17:49 »
If it moves back to c:\ then MC tried to go to a path that does not exists.

As I said. MC does NOT follow the link because of avoiding security problem.
It resolve the target and goes to that..  If you want to follow the virtual path then you have to go directly into it via a favorites or some other way that moves you directly into that path and past the link.  To cheat the system

There are some changing how this can be forced and works in the next version.