Author Topic: Can't get quick path working  (Read 10717 times)

rovf

• View Profile
Can't get quick path working
« on: January 26, 2015, 12:35:32 »
How can I set a Quick Path?

I clicked on the "star" icon, and then a window pops up saying "Favorites". This pop up window disappears immediately, as soon as I move the mouse. As long as I don't move the mouse, I can use the cursor keys to one of 10 possible QuickPath entries, but I don't see any explanations on how I actually can enter a path.

I didn't find this explained in the docs either. For example, the Content Index (http://multicommander.com/docs/index) doesn't even mention the Quick Path feature.....

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Can't get quick path working
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 13:09:32 »
Go to the path you want to add..

Then press the Star Button (or press hotkey Alt+ Backspace  ) The favorites Windows is shown

Then Select the "Quick Paths" section (Click on it or press F1)
You have 10 Quick path items, Right click on the item you want to set/change and select "set to current path"
If you change quick path item 5.. You can now press Ctrl+5 to go there.(Not F5... only 5)

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 08:50:46 »
The problem is: How can I right-click on an item, when I am not allowed to move the mouse? As I said, the favorites windows disappears immediately as soon as I move the mouse.

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 09:00:48 »
I'm one step further: I got the pop up window to work. The trick is to move the mouse to the middle of the "multi commander" window, and then invoke the "Favorites" window using the hotkey which you have suggested, Alt-Backspace. I think the problem with the Favorites windows is that it is placed just centered on top of the main window, i.e. away from the star button. Since I have "autoraise" and "focus follows mouse" enabled (I don't switch windows by clicking into them, but by moving the mouse over the window which should receive the focus), the main window gets the focus again, before the mouse has a chance to reach the pop-up. I was lucky that the pop-up was a modal window! The real cause of the problem seems to be therefore, that the pop up window doesn't use the property "always in foreground", and hence can be hidden again.

Now there is one more problem left: I'm using the key combination Control-DIGIT to switch between virtual desktops. Is there a way to assign different key combinations to the favorites, for example Control-Shift-DIGIT?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 09:01:38 »
That is strange. The favorites window is not design to go away when you move your mouse.
It will go away if you click someplace outside of the windows. or if the windows loses input focus.

There must be some conflict with something else you are running that make the windows lose focus and close.
Are you running some software that will auto change what window has focus ? or something like that ?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 09:09:34 »
I'm one step further: I got the pop up window to work. The trick is to move the mouse to the middle of the "multi commander" window, and then invoke the "Favorites" window using the hotkey which you have suggested, Alt-Backspace. I think the problem with the Favorites windows is that it is placed just centered on top of the main window, i.e. away from the star button. Since I have "autoraise" and "focus follows mouse" enabled (I don't switch windows by clicking into them, but by moving the mouse over the window which should receive the focus), the main window gets the focus again, before the mouse has a chance to reach the pop-up. I was lucky that the pop-up was a modal window! The real cause of the problem seems to be therefore, that the pop up window doesn't use the property "always in foreground", and hence can be hidden again.

Now there is one more problem left: I'm using the key combination Control-DIGIT to switch between virtual desktops. Is there a way to assign different key combinations to the favorites, for example Control-Shift-DIGIT?

Ahh You are running some auto focus app.. Okey I see. that is messing with the window.
I will see If I can add an option in the next version that disabled the Autoclose on lost focus.

Yes you can can change shortcut key

Menu > Configuration > Keyboard customization

You find Quickpath #1, #2 and so on there.  you can change them to Shift+Ctrl+1 , and so on..

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:07:59 »
Yes you can can change shortcut key

Menu > Configuration > Keyboard customization

You find Quickpath #1, #2 and so on there.  you can change them to Shift+Ctrl+1 , and so on..

Thanks, this is great! BTW, I found also another approach which gets the job done: Using the button editor, I changed the definition of some unused buttons to execute the command Quickpath #1 etc., and this works well too.