Author Topic: File coloring does not work  (Read 9771 times)

rovf

• View Profile
File coloring does not work
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:13:52 »
I have set the following options in my explorer panel colour settings:

- highlight the background on panel in focus
- use file specified background colors
- use folder specified background colors
- different colors for files with system/hidden attributes
- rule based coloring for files and folders

Clicking on the file coloring icon shows that the default coloring profile is enabled, and "apply file coloring" has a checkmark. Still, I don't get any file coloring, even after clicking on "Refresh....".

Are there other options I need to activate for enabling file coloring?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: File coloring does not work
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32:13 »
For RuleBased File coloring you need to enable it with "apply file coloring" option under the Color Wheel toolbar button
If you still do not get any color for files that should be color according to rules.
Then go to the File Coloring Rules editor and check if there really are any rules for that color profile. maybe the rules list are empty ?

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:42:38 »
Yes, this was applied, but I still did not get any colour.
However, I could solve the problem by myself: I simply quit Multi Commander and started it again, and everything is fine now. Perhaps it is a bug? I modified a few color settings before, and then reverted them to the original value. Maybe one of those settings was temporarily "killing" the file coloring. I tried to reproduce it, but with no success :-(

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 10:46:33 »
Yes, this was applied, but I still did not get any colour.
However, I could solve the problem by myself: I simply quit Multi Commander and started it again, and everything is fine now. Perhaps it is a bug? I modified a few color settings before, and then reverted them to the original value. Maybe one of those settings was temporarily "killing" the file coloring. I tried to reproduce it, but with no success :-(
Strange.. I will keep an eye on that.
Good that you got it working..

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:23 »
Now, when thinking of it, there was one more strange issue with this:

During the time where file coloring was not working, the explorer context menu was also incomplete. I am using several add ons, which hook into the context menu, and at least one of them was gone: It was the addon for the tool kdiff3 (http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/). I first thought that there is a problem with my kdiff3 installation, but after starting a fresh copy of multi commander, the usual context menu was back again.

I think there were a few more items missing in the context menu at this time, because it looked somewhat shorter, but at that time I was only interested in kdiff3, and I didn't pay attention to the others.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:58 »
Now, when thinking of it, there was one more strange issue with this:

During the time where file coloring was not working, the explorer context menu was also incomplete. I am using several add ons, which hook into the context menu, and at least one of them was gone: It was the addon for the tool kdiff3 (http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/). I first thought that there is a problem with my kdiff3 installation, but after starting a fresh copy of multi commander, the usual context menu was back again.

I think there were a few more items missing in the context menu at this time, because it looked somewhat shorter, but at that time I was only interested in kdiff3, and I didn't pay attention to the others.
That is strange..
Context menu is all built by Windows.. MC just ask windows for the context menu from item X and then MC show that menu.

However if you run 64bit version of MC only 64bit shell extensions are loaded.

Also if you right click outside of the filename the parent item might be used instead (depending on settings)

rovf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 11:45:27 »
Maybe I found the culprit. I ran into this situation again, and it occured after I had modified settings in the "Path field" section of the colour configuration. Basically, I switched from "windows colours" to "custom colours" and applied it to the gradient settings. I played around with various settings, and then suddenly noticed that file coloring was gone. After restaring MC, it was back again.