Author Topic: Quick Search + Search Field - numbers only  (Read 12751 times)

jpavel76

• View Profile
Quick Search + Search Field - numbers only
« on: March 20, 2015, 09:34:31 »
Hello,
Im am using very intensive the quick search to navigate through thousands of numbered folders, therefore I have set Quick search + Search Field + Letter only features.

When navigating through folders/files that start with a letter all works fine, but when it starts with a digit, the first key hit only opens the quick search field empty. Then I can type in what I need.

For Example - looking for folder no: 12345
I need to type 1 12345 (the first digit twice)
There is no difference in using numpad or standard keys.

I learned to type the first number twice, but it is not convenient.
When the Search field is OFF, it works normally like in windows. Anyhow I would like to keep the search field as it allows me to correct typos and gives more time to type the digits.

Forward Keys to commandline bar is disabled.

Is there some way to fix this behavior ? Using Alt+Letter or Ctrl+Alt+Letter makes it even worse.
Thanks a lot, Jan.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Quick Search + Search Field - numbers only
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 11:03:49 »
I can really recall right now. But I think there is a conflict with numbers and quick search. But not sure. I will investigate and see if it is possible to make this work.
I think the conflict is only when using some of the modifiers.. not without. I will check.

I tested now and it works for me with those settings.

If you create a backup of your settings in Menu > Help > Backup and Restore
Then upload that file to http://multicommander.com/upload
I can then test with your settings and see if there is something that creates a conflict.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:10:58 by Mathias (Author) »

jpavel76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:22:13 »
Thanks, The file quick search numbers has been uploaded (without extension, but shall be zip I guess)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:37:13 »
I work for me with your settings.
Only time I get that behavior your describe is if i press a letter/number that does not exists as the first character in a file/folder name.

Are you running any 3d party tools that can affect all programs ? Like program that changes what window is in focus. or that hook it self into windows and listen to keys or something like that. ?

The conflict I was thinking about before was for special languages character. But numbers and normal a-z should work.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:39:41 by Mathias (Author) »

jpavel76

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 14:02:44 »
Thanks Mathias,
I can't exactly tell if there is such program, it is business laptop with some specialized software, but i haven't encountered any other strange behavior with catching keys or changing window focus. I also do not have Administrator rights.
I tried to change keyboard to US switching off some programs, but nothing helps.

Actually when I press the digit on numpad (valid digit, existing at the beginning of folder name) the Search field opens empty with cursor. So MC reacts, only the value does not appear in the Search field. Pressing the same digit again starts the search normally.
With Letters there is no issue.

Also without the search field active it works normally - not sure what is the difference in the code

Couldn't be problem I am running Portable version ? I will try in the evening also on my private PC and let you know the result.
Many thanks for your prompt support.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 14:50:54 »
Very strange.

Only reason a character is not added to the quicksearch is because if the it does not find the file/folder starting with that letter
of if the character is invalid. But normal 0-9 letters are valid. So not sure why that does not work for you. It should.

There is no different with portable. it is the same executable.. Only difference is default configuration.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 17:52:09 »
There will be a new Beta later today/tomorrow.. (Build 1912 or more )
Upgrade to that then enabled debug logging in
Menu > Configuration > Core Settings > Logging (TAB)
Under Application Log set "Log Level" to "Debug" And press Apply.
Then Press Ctrl+L to show log panel.

Now all the quicksearch keys will be logged to this window and it might be possible to see why it fails

jpavel76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 23:25:22 »
Thanks Mathias. I tested the beta on my private PC. The problem really comes with the language/keyboard - I probably didn't change it well before.
Attached is a log from US keyboard layout and CZ keyboard layout. In both cases I pressed sequence 090318 on the numeric pad (working with windows snipping tool didn't capture the search field)

Normally the numeric pad is not affected by national characters and I am normally typing only numbers with it, but the initial zero "0" is in the log translated as "é", which lays really on zero, but only on the main keyboard, never on numpad. Looks like MC is treating key from numpad same as equivalent key on main board (Vkey 48-233) for the initial keypress.

On second press when search field is focused all works normally.

Do you think it is possible to fix the behavior, because US keyboard is not an option for me ;) For testing you can set any CS Czech keyboard layout, or i will support as much as I can.

Thank you, Jan.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 23:52:11 by jpavel76 »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 16:51:56 »
So CZ layout do not have the number keys as the default character for the 1-9 on the keyboard.
This is why it does not work.
MC get what keyboard key was pressed. and then it translates that to what character that is by asking the keyboard layout.
Numkeys are because of other issues translated to the normal 0-9 before the conversion. That why numkeys not works either.

Not sure if there is a easy fix for this.

jpavel76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 11:04:03 »
Hello Mathias,
I understand, if is is not possible I will learn to live with it :) In any case I am really glad for this great product.
Jan.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 12:49:31 »
Might be possible to get the NumKeys to work..  Maybe. but not the normal 0-9

jpavel76

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 16:13:48 »
Numpad would be far enough for me.

jpavel76

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:52:54 »
Man it works now with the update ! THANKS THANKS THANKS !!!