Author Topic: Where do you get the icon to place in front of the file name?  (Read 8480 times)

pmennen

• View Profile
Where do you get the icon to place in front of the file name?
« on: September 02, 2015, 14:01:08 »
The first attachment shows one of my folders as displayed by the windows 10 file explorer.
In all cases, the icon that the file explorer puts in front of each file is the same as the icon that appears if I right click on the file and select "properties".
For example right clicking on the first file ("01 Turing.mp3") yields the properties window shown in the 2nd attachment.

The last attachment shows the same folder as displayed by MC. Note that the icons placed in front of each file is the same as what the file explorer uses for all files except the .mp3 files and the .ico file.

In the case of the ico file, MC is a bit smarter about the icon. File explorer merely shows the icon of the application associated with the ico extension whereas MC actually uses the contents of the file for the icon. Personally I wouldn't care that much about either choice, although MC's icon choice is probably better.

However in the case of the mp3 file, MC uses some other icon that does not seem appropriate at all. The icon that appears does not belong to the application that is associated with mp3 files (foobar2000) nor is it the icon that shows up in the property window. This is distressing, since I use mp3 files A LOT.

By the way, I used an application called "MP3ext" to modify the icons for mp3 files and perhaps that is related to the problem. Evidently it modifies the icons in a way that is acceptable to the property window as well as to the windows file explorer ... but it seems to throw MC for a loop. I probably could get rid of the inconsistency by removing MP3ext ... but on the other hand the icon themes used by MP3ext are really nice!

~Paul

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Where do you get the icon to place in front of the file name?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 21:11:43 »
MP3Ext is a Windows Explorer Extension.

MC is not built on top of Win Explorer so it have no effect in MC.
You can add a audio column that shows the bitrate.

pmennen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:30:49 »
You can add a audio column that shows the bitrate.

I just tried that ... and it works, but for me not very useable. That's because I'm only looking at mp3 files perhaps 1% of the time, so the "kbps" column heading is usually just distracting clutter. Sigh ... the icon method is just so much better. Perhaps I'll just use explorer when I'm dealing with folders that contain primarily mp3 files.

MP3Ext is a Windows Explorer Extension.
MC is not built on top of Win Explorer so it have no effect in MC.

Ah ... ok, I didn't realize MP3Ext is an explorer extension. ... yet contrary to your claim, MP3Ext does have an effect in MC. (Just not the desired one).
Before enabling MP3Ext, MC displayed mp3 files using the icon of the application I use to open mp3 files (foobar2000). However after enabling this extension, MC displays mp3 files using the icon that you see in my earlier attachment (which looks somewhat like a blank white page). So I think my question about where MC gets its icons from is still a fair one. I tried changing the default program used to open mp3 files, but the icon used for mp3 files still did not change. Is there a way to change the icon used for mp3 files to match with my default audio application (or possibly with a user specified file?)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:16 »
Yes that is because MP3Ext override the icon handling in Windows Explorer. So MC will not get an icon.

You can override icons in FileType Setup in config.

pmennen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:32:37 »
You can override icons in FileType Setup in config.

As you suggested, adding the mp3 extension to the icon section of that dialog indeed solved the problem I was having.

Thanks!

~Paul