Author Topic: Norton Anti virus File Insight just removed multicommander.exe  (Read 8140 times)

rtbailey

• View Profile
I clicked a custom button that just ran a script that invoked this command:  C:\ProgramFilesPersonal\MultiCommander\MultiCommander.exe /OPEN C:\0-MyShortcuts
This just opens C:\0-MyShortcuts in a new multicommander tab.
Then Norton anti-virus removed multicommander.exe, saying "Reputation Level BAD" and "There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy".
This was a recent release 6.4.2.229.
File Thumbprint - SHA:
96e36a283c6b85cce0367bf1773dcc4576b8daf91c7beaa17e5a9023b717dfed

Is there an issue with multicommander, or is Norton File Insight just wrong?????

AlanJB

• VIP Member
  • VERY old Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Norton Anti virus File Insight just removed multicommander.exe
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 16:23:52 »
Norton AV is just plain wrong (and often is!).

Avast! is happy with all the MC .exes and .dlls (and always has been) and so is VirusTotal.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 16:40:07 »
Another false positive. 
Many AV flag all software that are not digitally signed. the problem is that a certificate like that cost around 200-300$ a year.. And for free software that is not ideal.

It is often possible to report false positive to AV vendors. some correct it fast other can take time some whats money to correct it.
There are so many false positives for all programs from small developers, So It is actually hard to trust AV software at all.
I fell like many AV vendors do it on purpose so that the user will notice their program and continue paying for it.

VirtualTotal is often a good indicator.. if many of the major AV complain there then it might be serious.

rtbailey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 16:55:37 »
I reported it as a false positive to Norton. 
I restored the program from my nightly backup, and Norton immediately removed it again when I tried to run it.  Now it is telling me I need to restart my computer to continue the removal of security risks.   >:(
I restored MC from my backup and renamed it to multicommander2.exe and was able to run it that way.  Upon running, MC detected it was out of date and wanted to do an update.  The update would not run since it could not find multicommander.exe.  So I restored multicommander.exe from backup and restarted multicommander2.exe again and was finally able to get MC running again. 
I changed the Norton AV settings to not automatically remove threats, so I think I will be OK now.
Hope this helps anyone else who runs into this problem.

rtbailey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 17:03:14 »
Thanks.  I just made a donation, but I forgot to put in my username, rtbailey.
I've been using MC for some time now and I really like it.