Author Topic: Multi Commander 6.5 BETA - other  (Read 22914 times)

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
Multi Commander 6.5 BETA - other
« on: November 14, 2016, 13:16:31 »
Thanks for the reply Mathias.  I am using b2282 - that is the most recent isn't it?

The selection bug-this is difficult to explain, it had occurred a while back and then in a recent release what I believed it to be was listed in the list of fixes & the problem 99% went away. I now cannot find the update list which included this fixed description.   :-\

Basically if you selected one or more files within a group and then moved/copied them to the opposite pane, selecting another block of files would often start from a random point in the collection of files.  This happened between dirs on the same physical disk+partition. (Maybe this is related to the delay in the 'grab focus thing?  All my disks say 100% okay & the FATs etc pass windows checkdisk tho...)

The focus of the last highlighted file would somehow randomly move so that a select+shift could start in a random location and a random selection of files would be highlighted for the next operation.  I suspected that the mouse cursor + overlay was involved. Difficult to explain it without videoing it.  It did occur once yesterday on a directory with a hundred files present.
E.g.
I select 10 files from a folder holding 100 files, I move these 10 files to the opposite pane;
I have highlighted another file as the copying operation occurs, I press shift and select the last file hi-lighting a new block;
the highlight grabs a random block which ends with my end selection click.
So the hi-lite selection grabs extra/different files

Code: [Select]
2-hi-lite
3-hi-lite
4-click
5-shift
6-shift
7-shift
8-shift
9-shift
10-shift+click - hi-lite
This could be really crazy sometimes adding dozens of extra files to the next operation.  Sometimes the selection would extend into off-screen area that could only be seen by using the scroll bar.  It wasn't really frequent & I couldn't decide how to describe it ....  then you seemed to fix it.
But maybe you meant something different & my PC is just trying to make my head explode... ::)

Grab focus-normally whilst the copy or move operation occurs I can select something else and begin or queue another operation from another dir.  Moving out of the current dir, whilst the initial op commences, now delays.
I must wait and MC will enter a 'not responding' state if I click 'up' to move up the tree, whilst it begins the copy or move operation.
I had wondered if this was due to the USB drives that I copied some items to but these are USB 3.0 drives on the USB 3.0 socket & it also happens between SATA hard disks within the system.
So I mean it is grabbing focus as it starts a function and this is preventing me from clicking on/doing anything else.

I have been resetting column width and then setting as default. But I maybe hadn't clicked save as default since installing the last beta ...I thought I had! 
I have now it seems to be okay!

OK on the Find switch/functionalities, I can wait  & use regex etc so it's not life-threatening (yet!)

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Multi Commander 6.5 BETA - other
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 15:00:07 »
Thanks for the reply Mathias.  I am using b2282 - that is the most recent isn't it?
What I meant it that this is not any issue that are new in the beta (since last none beta release).
They are issues that existed before the beta. So it really belongs in the normal issue section. :)

I have been resetting column width and then setting as default. But I maybe hadn't clicked save as default since installing the last beta ...I thought I had! 
I have now it seems to be okay!
It has nothing to do upgrading to new version.. The upgrade do not change any settings. But you might have saved a different size before at some point or something.

(btw I have not read your entire post yet. Will do that later)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 15:02:09 by Mathias (Author) »

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 13:25:41 »
Thanks Mathias.  Sorry for posting in wrong place. As I am always using the latest build I lose track of which issues belong to normal or beta & just try to report them when I get opportunity  :-[ ;)

It appears all my 'hangs' whilst processing copy/move instructions went away.
Win7 just did a bunch of updates incl. some dotNET package stuff - maybe MS was the real culprit!  [As if that was ever not the case   ;D ;D]

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:41:57 »

Yes the hang issue must have been because of external cause. Because there is no reason for it inside MC. 
It can be anything that cause some interference with the I/O,  Often it is AV that holds/blocks access to files for a while until it is ready.
But it can also be drivers and other reason.

Selection thing I don't know. Might be that you have some settings that cause some conflict or something. I'm not able to recreate it ?
It is something that worked before ? When did it work ?

Thanks Mathias.  Sorry for posting in wrong place. As I am always using the latest build I lose track of which issues belong to normal or beta & just try to report them when I get opportunity  :-[ ;)

It appears all my 'hangs' whilst processing copy/move instructions went away.
Win7 just did a bunch of updates incl. some dotNET package stuff - maybe MS was the real culprit!  [As if that was ever not the case   ;D ;D]

Ulfhednar

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 11:39:24 »
Selection bug - I guess this would have started around 6.4.6 or .7, I know in .8 it had improved a lot & in this build it has happened only twice (with daily use).
When it first started I thought it might have been the mouse / overlay as it sometimes would appear to select from the mouse cursor position on screen.  But as it only occurs in MC when items are being block selected & moved I thought it may be something related to these  changes: -

Release v6.4.6 (Build 2246) ( 16-Aug-2016 )
FIXED - Start with a ExplorerPanel showing the root of REG: now works again
FIXED - Items sometimes got selected when activating application.
FIXED - Focus was sometimes lost if focus was changed during filesystem scan
FIXED - Crash that could happen if item was removed after filesystem scan, But before UI had refreshed.
FIXED - 1 stability issue

As I said it is very random but is now not occurring several times per day. :-\

Thanks for looking into it  ;)