Author Topic: FTP not working?  (Read 10773 times)

maestralien

• View Profile
FTP not working?
« on: February 19, 2012, 15:19:35 »
Hello,
I wanted to uninstall FileZilla and use the MC FTP function but it seems not a good idea, because MC does not work properly. I tested it downloading a folder from my FTP to local computer but it fails, instead the same test with FileZilla works (as always it did). Why such problem? I get following problem, but I allowed firewall to MC access:

Timeout while waiting for command response. (Possible resason is slow connection/firewall settings or server problem)

Shortly, can I use MC instead of FileZilla?

Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: FTP not working?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 15:44:07 »
If it fails to download it can depend on a lot of things. From what FTP server you connect to, what settings is used on server/client and firewall settings.
It is hard to tell without more information.

A program like FileZilla that is dedicated on being a FTP client will always be better, Because they have the time to focus the development on just FTP and to included workarounds and support for all different ftp servers.
Other programs that has FTP Client support like Multi Commander tries to be good enough for most cases.

FTP in Multi Commander works good in 9 of 10 cases. But because the FTP standard is very unspecific in a lot of things, a lot of FTP servers handles things differently, there are cases where a program like FZ will work better.

However FTP in Multi Commander is improving with every release.

maestralien

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 17:30:27 »
I can understand that specific applications work better for that specific job. However, settings were exactly the same on both MC and FZ. Hope some little improvements on the FTP side can avoid to have another app installed (FZ) and be able to have only MC. I've already uninstalled Advanced Renamer since MC works perfectly on that. Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 20:51:21 »
Then it can be that the FTP server you using is special in some way. But since I don't know what server you are using I can not know if that is the case.

You might be able to see if there are any difference in the command that FZ and MC are sending by looking at the log output of them both.
There you might see if FZ is doing something that MC is not.