Author Topic: Not connected networkshares do not show in Multicommander  (Read 14779 times)

Rens

• View Profile
Not connected networkshares do not show in Multicommander
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:46 »
I think I have the same problem as in this older posting: http://forum.multicommander.com/forum/index.php/topic,131.0.html

I use multicommander 2.0 64bit with Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I have some connection problems with my Qnap Nas. I made two shares with driveletters M: and N: Those shares allways show up with red crosses in Windows Explorer and Total Commander. When I click on them in Explorer or Total Commander the red crosses disappear and the shares can be accessed. The problem with Multicommander is that those two shares do not show up at all when they are not connected. I have to connect to the shares with explorer or Total Commander (red crosses disappear) before the M: and N: shares appear in Multicommander. It is very inconvenient that Multicommander doesn't show the not connected shares. Can this be changed or can I configure Multicommander to show the not connected shares (with red crosses).

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Not connected networkshares do not show in Multicommander
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 13:17:45 »
Strange. I get them to show up here. I will try to track down what can go wrong, and make it not show them

Rens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 21:19:35 »
I hope you can find the solution. I think Multicommander is a great Filemanager. The first real competitor of Total Commander  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 22:39:30 by Rens »

Rens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 21:41:20 »
That is strange! I just checked MultiCommander again and now the two not connected shares showed up in de the drivebar with red crosses. Maybe the problem has something to do with administrator mode. When the problem ocurred I used MultiCommander in administrator mode. I just stopped using MultiCommander in administrator mode and now the red crosses (not connected shares) show up in MultiCommander.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 16:41:37 »
Ahh I see..

That is because of how Windows work. and because of the security in Windows.

If you logon with as a standard user but are member of local administrator group. Then you will have two (2) access tokens for your account.
And connected networks share are associated with the access token for your standard login account so when a program starts as administrator the second 'admin' access token is used. So a program running as administrator will not have the same access to the network connection.

It work like that because of security reasons in Windows.

Read more at Microsoft KB 937624

You can however enable Linked Connections so that program that runs as administrator will have the same access as program run as normal user.

• Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
  • Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
  • Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
  • Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press Enter.
  • Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
  • In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
  • Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 16:43:14 by Mathias (Author) »

Rens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 20:38:01 »
Great tip about EnableLinkedConnections! I allways saw a difference between elevated administrator mode and normal mode when I had connectionproblems but never knew how to solve it. EnableLinkedConnections did the job. Thanks for your advise and for your great program MultiCommander. I wrote a recommendation on my dutch freeware blog: http://freewaretoolsandtricks.blogspot.com/2012/02/multicommander.html

maestralien

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 20:01:08 »
I'm having the same problems, MC does not show the Network computers connected. While, Windows Explorer does. However, I'm pointing at the Registry key but on my computer it looks to be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\

I mean, I do not have the System path in that key, but only "Explorer" (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)

Should I manually add "System" and then go on ..?

PS: is this change safe and nothing will change how Windows 7 Pro x64 works perfectly here?

Thanks.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 22:04:24 »
That network settings is does not do anything about browsing the network.
Browsing network outside of Windows Explorer is messy because the API provided by MS is very bad and there are also multiple ways to do it.
So in Core setting (Menu > configuration > Core Settings) at the FileSystem tab (at the bottom) you can change to another network browse method.. Method 2 or 3 might work better for your setup

maestralien

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 22:23:45 »
Thanks for the support. However now I tried again with the default settings and it works! Strange... but fine!  ;) I'll keep you posted if anything will change ... thanks again.