Author Topic: Search for... can't find any texts.  (Read 2663 times)

Agent86

• View Profile
Search for... can't find any texts.
« on: December 09, 2023, 13:37:44 »
I'm using Multi Commander V13.1 (build 2995). I really enjoy using the program because it's really an improvement in file management.
My operating system is Windows 10, with all the latest update.

However, the program has some bugs. Here is my report.
The test: I set up a new directory on a hard drive. In the directory I copy three documents with the same content in DOCX, ODT and PDF formats. DOCX stands for MS-Office, ODT (Open Document Format) stands for LibreOffice and PDF for numerous document files. All three files have the same content. Now I'm just looking in this directory with a single word for a file that should contain the word. The result is that Multicommander can't find a file that has the word in it, even though it's actually present in all three files. This means that Multicommander currently does not allow you to search for file contents in order to find a specific file with that content.

Now I'm going to add a simple text file (TXT) that says the word I'm looking for. Multicommander will only find this file. This proves that Multicommander can only find text in simple text files and not in the standard documents of well-known word processors.

The test can be easily repeated at any time.
My day.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Search for... can't find any texts.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 01:42:43 »
correct , MC do not decode all file format there are. It is too big of a scope. It looks for the file content flat.

Agent86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 12:08:20 »
Hi Mathias,
thank you very much for this answer. Now it is clear.
My day.

Agent86

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 12:23:08 »
Hi Mathias,
I have an idea. Maybe you could integrate an existing open source program for text search. I had tried DocFetcher once (http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net, Wiki: http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php). It could potentially work with your program.

The best thing to do is to get in touch with the author of the program and ask.
I hope I was able to be of assistance.
Greetings and happy holidays.
My day.

Timon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 18:33:32 »
The main competitors (Double Commander, FreeCommander XE, Total Commander) support built-in search for file contents in office xml formats (docx, xlsx, odt, ...) and epub

FreeCommander XE also supports external converter xdoc2txt to search for file contents in the following formats - rtf;docx;xlsx;pptx;doc;xls;ppt;sxw;sxc;sxi;sxd;odt;ods;odp;odg;pdf;eml (in pdf format in this case there should be recognized text, not a picture)

If you need any additional information, I can write how it works