Author Topic: delete many files is very slow  (Read 9530 times)

schlaubi25

• View Profile
delete many files is very slow
« on: April 14, 2013, 10:01:57 »
When i delete many files and folders with the delete key (to trash) it takes a very long of time.  Delete from the context menu (windows delete) is much more faster. Is it possible to config the internal MC function to delete faster?

thx

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: delete many files is very slow
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:34 »
Sure you are not doing permanent delete ?. Because when deleting to trashcan the delete operation is handed of to windows to do that.
But if your trashcan is very full, windows will also start to remove files permanently from the trash.

schlaubi25

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:18:09 »
Yes, i delete to the empty trash. Delete permanent (not to trash) is also much more faster.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 11:35:11 »
MC deletes as fast as windows allows it to delete.
If it is slow you must have something on your machine that interact or hook it self into the filesystem and slows it down.
It might be software like AV software , Undelete software, File History, or other

schlaubi25

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 11:58:56 »
I have this problem on different computers, also with different AVs and operating systems and only when using the "delete" key. Select folder -> delete key -> message from MC "delte files ... delte to recycle bin and remove link, not target is chosen -> "yes" -> new message from MC "folder is not empty!" -> delete all -> prepair -> and then the delte process is very slow.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 12:11:35 »
Well I can't say why it is slow for you.
Deleting to recycle bin is normally done very very quick, specially folders are moved fast, since it will move the entire folder instead of moving all files inside the folder individually