Author Topic: Copy fails/stucks  (Read 11684 times)

testplayer

• View Profile
Copy fails/stucks
« on: June 22, 2013, 23:25:53 »
It just gets stuck, and I cannot skip, pause, abort or even close the copy window. I can only close MC main window and wait for several seconds then everything is closed.
Tested on Windows 8 64-bit
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 23:59:02 by testplayer »

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Copy fails/stucks
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 00:30:33 »
When this happens it is often a hardware, filesystem or driver issue.. (Or AV software or other program that hook it self into the subsystem, But not so likely.)

MC is using Windows to read/write data. and if Windows has problem reading/writing the data or something happens that prevent it from returning.
The copy operation will hang and it can not be aborted since MC is waiting for the Windows Subsystem to return.
You can press Ctrl+L and check the File Operation log for any errors but I guess you will not find any error there. (Because then you should have been shown a error window )

Also If windows is self has detected any error you might find information about that in the Windows Event Log (Use Event viewer, and look for errors in the Application and System log)

You can also use the "Resource Monitor" in Windows 7/8 to see if another program reads the same file.

testplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:18:36 »
Well, if I use the ctrl+c and ctrl+v in either windows explorer or MC, or right click then select copy and paste, there will not be any error. This problem only appears when I use the advanced copy function of MC.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 12:50:03 »
That is strange because MC is using Windows subsystem to read/write bytes, Then it must be something else that locks it up.

But if you create a dump of MC when it hangs and sent it to me I can take a look at that and might be able to see what it waits for.

When the hang has happen start Task Manager, Go to the Details tab and right click on the MultiCommander.exe process and select "Create Dump File"

A path will be shown where task manager have saved the dump file..  (This path can be copied to the clipboard )
Since this file can be very big compress it with Zip or 7Zip or something and then upload it at
http://multicommander.com/upload/

testplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 01:14:35 »
OK. I've uploaded that.

ianhilluk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 15:53:35 »
I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

I am using Vista 32bit and the copy just hangs as described above.

When I use Windows Explorer there are no problems copying the files. I have just upgraded to version 3.2.1, the previous version I used was 3.0.0 and I never had any problems like this before.

I am copying a single (small) file from a local drive to an external hard drive.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 15:55:29 by ianhilluk »

ianhilluk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 16:08:30 »
I've reverted to version 3.0 (Build 1360) and that still works. Disappointing that I can't take advantage of the latest features but I'd rather have the ability to copy files!

-Switch-on-

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 10:15:23 »
I have the same problem with an 64bit windows 7 system. The the advanced copying with exclusion of certain files stops just after it starts.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:58:00 »
check the log if an error happen. Because for that to happen the copy must have been is abort by user or by an error.
Also try latest beta. Some rare hang situation was fix if a filesystem did not support some options