Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Support and Feedback / Re: Quicklook - nearly works
« Last post by jfmoyen on February 22, 2024, 07:37:41 »
@jfmoyen,

AFAIK Space is the default (and the only) hotkey registered by QL itself to open and close preview. I tested 3 cases:

You are absolutely right, and I'm an idiot.... SPACE is a QL default. However, I ALSO assigned it to a MC command, along the lines of 'Quicklook.exe "${filepath}" '. So the two bindings were competing, as it were.

It works perfectly now - what a legend ! :-)

Will you commit your changes to the QL GitHub ? https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook
They would then be included in future updates etc.

Thanks a lot !
« Last post by Jungle on February 21, 2024, 19:41:25 »
@jfmoyen,

AFAIK Space is the default (and the only) hotkey registered by QL itself to open and close preview. I tested 3 cases:

1) launch QL, then press Space in MC and navigate: everything looks fine;
2) create User Defined Command MC.Run CMD="x:\ql_path\quicklook.exe" ARG="${focusfilepath}", assign some hotkey: fine
3) create new profile in File Type Setup / Viewers (F3 default): fine

Fine means that preview appears and stays until manually closed. I tested it on Win10 and Win11 (real and VM). I can only suppose that Space is somehow pressed twice making QL close preview (as long as Space is used for both open and close preview)
« Last post by jfmoyen on February 21, 2024, 18:23:58 »
@jfmoyen,
Well, I've made QL to monitor MC. Here's the files. Archive contains only updated binaries along with source files, so you can build QL yourself. Password is QuickLook

Well, you're a star, what can I say ?
Except - when I press space (my binding for preview, replaces the regular F1) QL appears, and then disappears immediately - UNLESS I very quickly move (up/down arrow) to another file. In which case QL stays open and has the expected behaviour.

It's tantalizingly close from perfect :-)

Please tell me if there is anything useful I can do to help diagnose.

« Last post by Jungle on February 21, 2024, 09:28:03 »
@jfmoyen,
Well, I've made QL to monitor MC. Here's the files. Archive contains only updated binaries along with source files, so you can build QL yourself. Password is QuickLook
Support and Feedback / Skip files on defect sectors when copying files?
« Last post by t-punkt on February 18, 2024, 12:22:45 »
Unfortunately two drives in my NAS (RAID-5) have bad sectors.
I want to copy all available files to my backup-NAS.
How can I configure MC to skip files that can't be accessed?

Thanks a lot for helping.
« Last post by Mathias (Author) on February 16, 2024, 18:19:32 »
I never used the PDF preview in Windows Explorer before, but I've tested this feature now and I have to say, it works, but it doesn't work in MC. Moreover, the crash without any crash report is repeatable; it takes 3-5 minutes, and then it crashes. The preview for images works.

I guess that it uses the FineReader WindowsPreviewHandler.  I have not have any issues with the default preview viewer that is provided by windows
However if you want to disable the pdf preview you can do it in preview customized and in the configuration for Pdf and office files.. remove the "*.pdf" file matching..
« Last post by Matthias515566 on February 16, 2024, 13:01:16 »
I never used the PDF preview in Windows Explorer before, but I've tested this feature now and I have to say, it works, but it doesn't work in MC. Moreover, the crash without any crash report is repeatable; it takes 3-5 minutes, and then it crashes. The preview for images works.
« Last post by Mathias (Author) on February 15, 2024, 06:07:58 »
crash report
There is no crash report because the MultiCommander instance is terminated without any message. The window closes, and the executable is terminated without any message. I have no preview software installed in Windows, and some services may be disabled. I use Adobe Reader and ABBYY FineReader for PDFs. It would be better for MultiCommander to operate independently and not rely on Windows features that may be disabled by users.
Maybe you turned it of. Becuse normally a crash report is sent and a dialog shown with a crash ID if MC is just terminated..

All windows have Preview software installed... A lot of them are built from microsoft. If you can show preview in Windows Explorer you have them installed, MC uses the same preview handlers..
Both AdobeReader and FineReader is normally installing its own Preview Handler for PDF.. So then MC is using that via the WindowsPreviewHandler API..

If MC would not use built in features would be a waste. Why invent the wheel again?.  It would also take enormous amount of extra work. Parsing and rendering for example PDF are a a very huge and complex task. It is a project that is as big as the rest of MC.
It is just really not possible.

« Last post by Matthias515566 on February 15, 2024, 05:56:00 »
crash report
There is no crash report because the MultiCommander instance is terminated without any message. The window closes, and the executable is terminated without any message. I have no preview software installed in Windows, and some services may be disabled. I use Adobe Reader and ABBYY FineReader for PDFs. It would be better for MultiCommander to operate independently and not rely on Windows features that may be disabled by users.
« Last post by Jungle on February 13, 2024, 18:21:32 »
I see, so the "issue" (if it is an issue) should be fixed from QL side then, by having it watching more managers...
It's not an issue. Unfortunately, adding custom file manager support can't be done by creating independent dll. This would require to change QuickLook.Native project. But the first impression makes me think that adding MC support to QL shouldn't be hard for someone who has Visual Studio installed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 10