Author Topic: FTP issues  (Read 8172 times)

Kreator

• View Profile
FTP issues
« on: December 21, 2013, 05:24:36 »
Hi again.
I want to tell about some problems with FTP connection.
  • First of all, it's bad, that I have to enter user and password in connection properties. If I don't enter and server needs authentication, I get error
Code: [Select]
2013-12-21 08:17:18 > USER
2013-12-21 08:17:18 < 501 Syntax error
2013-12-21 08:17:18 = Command failed
  • The second problem appeares when I work with it - copy to or from a server. It just stops somewhen and tells me that somwthing wrong and I have to restart the process. Can I get some extended FTP log to know what the problem is?
Thank you.
Save our fragile planet!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: FTP issues
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 13:08:03 »
There is no more information to show.

Since FTP is a FileSystem plugin into MC. So it is simulating a filesystem. And there are some limits what the FTP can do to interact with the users.

"501 Syntax error" is returned from the Server.. the server did not provide any more information. All error information provided by the server is shown.

Kreator

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 15:50:27 »
Syntax error appears when the plugin sends "USER" and "PASSWORD" without a user and a password strings. Maybe it should not send "USER" and "PASSWORD" if there's no username and password provided by a connection settings, and show authorization window, like it is done in TotalCommander? I don't really like to save my passwords at any PC not at home, but MC doesn't let me enter it when I connect.
Save our fragile planet!

ice-man

• The Little Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:10:23 »
As Mathias said.. FTP is a plugin, and the file system can not show an UI because the plugin it self does not know what is calling it. It can be a script and background thread and so on. So is not possible for the plugin to just show a UI.

I think the FileSystem Interface need some redesign to make that possible.
Intel i7-6700K - Running on latest Windows 10 64bit Insider Preview