Author Topic: lost pics!!!  (Read 8250 times)

sl23

• View Profile
lost pics!!!
« on: April 23, 2015, 16:34:03 »
I finally started to sort my pictures folder out and thought I'd give Mc a go, using the dual panels. I cut from one panel and pasted onto folder in second panel.  After a while I thought best to check and make sure they're copying OK, but found I'd lost over 150 pics!! I attempted recovery but nothing came up.
Win8.1 i74790K 16GB

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: lost pics!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 16:53:09 »
Very strange.

But check the file log and see what it did. I might have placed the file in a parent folder.

You say Cut / Paste. If you do Ctrl-X / Ctrl-V MC will NOT do the copy. It is handed by Windows. MC just forward the command for "cut" and "paste" to windows. And windows should not delete the source file unless the target file was written.

MC only do the copying if you see the MC CopyTo or MC CopyProgress dialog. If you see the WindowsExplorer Progress dialog then windows handled the copy.

sl23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 14:20:34 »
I used mouse copy/paste files were moved from the folder to another folder on same drive but have completely gone. Don't know if Mc or windows performed the op but I've never had any file manager do that before.
Win8.1 i74790K 16GB

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 16:30:00 »
Mouse..so Drag and drop.. It is not copy paste.. I know for the user it might look as it does not matter but actually copy paste, drag and drop or copy using MC copy command  are very very different, and works and support different things :)

Anyway.

I think it is very strange that files got lost. File are never removed if the copy was not successful. but if MC did the copy you should see something about it in the file log.
(Type ":golog" in the commandline field. and MC will go to that location and then find the file log (if it still there.. old log are auto deleted) and see if any error are in the log for the file copy.

I copied many million of files an never lost any. and so have others. Something must be unique for your situation that made it happen.
If this was a common problem I would drown in mail and post on the forum.
Are you sure they are lost, and not just copied to a subfolder or parent folder around the same location instead. (I mean maybe something went wrong when starting the copy so the program copied the files to the ".." (parent) or a subfolder instead.)
Was both source and target local filesystem or was network, portable, or FTP involved?

sl23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 16:34:50 »
OK I'll check log when I get a chance, thanks for the tip.

Yes they are lost. As the folder was on same drive the operation was actually Move. I simply dragged to second panel and thought they had been 'dropped' into the relevant folder, of which I was very careful about as I wanted them in dated folders.

All folders have been checked, I found some, about 25 ~ 30. But the others weren't in any of the folders or parent.

I tried using Recuva to locate anything that may have been deleted but couldn't see any of those missing.
Win8.1 i74790K 16GB

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:42:44 »
This is getting even stranger. If you do a move on the same drive files are never copied and then deleted. If source / target is same drive the file is renamed. So i really do not understand how they can been lost. Extremely strange