Author Topic: thumbnails do not refresh until restart  (Read 6783 times)

rpesq

• View Profile
thumbnails do not refresh until restart
« on: August 14, 2015, 04:57:54 »
Hi,

I am trouble figuring out how to get MC to refresh the thumbnails in a folder panel, which is how I would like MC to operate (other file apps, such as Xyplorer, refresh thumbnails automatically on the fly).  In MC, they do not refresh until I exit and restart.

Can you advise?

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: thumbnails do not refresh until restart
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:32:30 »
Thumbnails are cached, to avoid reloading them all the time.
It might depends on what thumbnail engine you use. Sometimes you can force the thumbnail to be refetched if you do a forced refresh..(Shift+F2/Shift+F5 depending on setup)

If you run on Win7+ look in Core Settings and then the filesystem tab, at the bottom is a Thumbnail section, make sure the thumbnail engine is Auto or Windows. if Windows thumbnail engine is used the caching of the images are actually done by windows.

You can also really force the thumbnail cache to clear type typing ":ctc" on the command line field, and then afterward do a refresh.
But that is often only needed if using the internal thumbnail engine when MC is handling the cache.

rpesq

• View Profile
Re: thumbnails do not refresh until restart
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 16:57:21 »
Hi,

Thanks for prompt reply.  I tried changing that setting, and no luck, nor does shift-F2 show the thumbnail either. 

Actually, you were on the right track, the solution turns out to be the opposite of what you suggested.  If I change that setting to use "Internal created and cached by MC", the thumbnails will show as new files are added to the directory.

Thanks for your assistance.