Author Topic: Undo operations  (Read 8519 times)

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
Undo operations
« on: December 12, 2015, 14:28:29 »
In your road map you noted

Undo     Able to undo a delete/copy/move/rename operation

as    "Investigation     Not Decided"

Have you got any plans to introduce this useful feature?
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Undo operations
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 18:10:03 »
That "roadmap" is too old and obsolete..

Undo is on my list. However undo in filemanagement is kind of weird. Not all kind of operations can be undone, also the framework does not really support it yet.
So it is a major code change to include it, and will take a lot of time to include, And there are other things I fell is more important.
But it is on my list. and I might add it. But not in the near future, Maybe for selected operations.

Alanrf

• Accept that computers always know best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 20:54:24 »
Thank you for your courteous and informative reply.

I agree that it is not appropriate for all actions.  Basically perhaps an option to reverse a delete operation would be good, when you have an opportunity in the future.

Yes, I realised that the roadmap was most likely outdated.  I only found it by chance as a side effect of a Google searh.  The fact that the version references were old gave the clue.

Roadmaps have a habit of popping up quite inappropriately, such is power, and the peril, of the internet. :-)
Now using Win 10.
Used 'em all from DOS 2.0 onwards.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 07:53:04 »
It is actually "delete" that is the operation with most issues to undo

If you really delete a file it is gone. (Unless you use filesystem recovery tool. and with todays filesystem and HW (SSD) even that can be unsuccessful )
So then we are left with the option to not actually delete a file when a file is deleted. ANd that causing a lot of other issues because people often delete to free up space.
And there many more situations where it fails.

If you want undo for delete..  Then delete to recycle bin. And windows will be able to recover it.. (However that is not always the case, if you delete lots of files. the trashcan can overflow, and Windows will clear it out )