Author Topic: Wrong size of folders?  (Read 7474 times)

kamil_w

• View Profile
Wrong size of folders?
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:37:10 »
I have just noticed that MC shows me that there is 10GB used on C drive, but folder Windows has 14GB. Someone has an idea why?

Jungle

• Contributor
  • VIP Member
  • Old Skull
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong size of folders?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 15:00:52 »
I have just noticed that MC shows me that there is 10GB used on C drive, but folder Windows has 14GB. Someone has an idea why?
Maybe it is because of links. Check Core Settings > File System > Junctions and Symbolic links > When sizing folders

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Wrong size of folders?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 18:02:32 »
That is correct.. The Windows folder is shown as larger then it actually is mainly because of 2 things

Some files are compressed using NTFS compression, but the uncompressed file size is what is show.

Also there are a lot of duplicates in Windows..  Specially under WinSXS and also other places.. like notepad.exe is located in multiple places.
BUT all this duplicates are actually only stored 1 times on the disk. The file system have a "hardlink" between all file entries.
But the files are listed as normal files to programs. You really need to go way down into the metadata of the file to see that

If you enable the column "Extended - Hardlinks" (if there are MANY files it will take time to show since it will extract this in the background and it can be slow)
and the go into Windows you see that many files have other number then 1 ,  This number is how many reference there is to the same file.