Author Topic: Hidden File Found  (Read 7308 times)

My711thLoginHandle

• View Profile
Hidden File Found
« on: January 28, 2016, 17:34:23 »
I just started using this program yesterday and to my surprise, it found a hidden file, an image, of something from long ago. Yes, it is one of my images so nothing that "surprised" me. Anyway, so it found this file. I wanted to find out how Windows Explorer, Q-Dir, and Explorer++ never shown it to me in how ever long the file has been there. I have Windows set to show me hidden files, but alas no. Two computers, different file programs, will not see it but Multi Commander does. How?? Can this even be answered? It shows some superiority over the other programs in this way.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Hidden File Found
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:52:08 »
If you have shown hidden on windows it should be shown. in Explorer or other FMs based on Windows Shell.
Not sure why it was not show, Maybe you have a shell extension installed that filters out and hide "unwanted" files and that files got filtered out by mistake ?

MC is not using the Windows Shell to get the list of files and folders. MC show the folder content as it is. (Unless you got a FileSystem Filter Driver installed. They can alter was is shown for MC too. But then we are taking about rootkit level alterations of the OS)

So MC is getting affected by Shell Extensions that modifys what files/folders that are shown.