Author Topic: Synchronizing Folders within Subfolders like in TC needed.  (Read 8836 times)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
At Time is only comparing folders possible and files in subfolders are ignored. A synchronizing- tool like in TC is essential for MC.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Synchronizing Folders within Subfolders like in TC needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 22:58:11 »
Well, Not many uses it anymore, Most people have gone over to dropbox/onedrive and similar.

But I said it before, and will say it again.  I can add something like this.. BUT someone else need to figure out how it should work and such.
problem is that if you ask 10 people how they want it, you get 10 different answers. Everybody think that syncing should work in a different way.
Since I do not use anything like this at all and don't even have a need for it. It would require to much work for me to figure out how everything should work.
And I don't want the time to spend.

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 16:17:03 »
TC give a very good example. When using this option, the useable Backup will be made faster, because only new files will be copied and deleted files will be deleted and empty folders wil be deleted automatically and also in subfolders, not only in the main folder. I use this everytime to synchronize my Notebook with the Main-PC and my Content with external Harddrives. Its not a Backup, its a useable Copy. For Backup i use Acronis True Image. FC make very much errors with its synchronisation-Tool. Therefore you need to test the synchronisation-tool of TC.

What have this to do with dropbox? i have also very big video files and i dont want do give all my data the nsa.... Please forget fast dropbox and onedrive.

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 17:01:54 »
Well I do not use syncing like that. So I have no idea how TC or other do it.

Problem is like I said, syncing is different for everybody. different people want different things. less and more complex.
You for example want it to delete a files/folder that was delete on one of the location.
Now things are getting complex, Now we need to hold some sorted of database or something to track the state of what the original state was.
and if you do multiple machine/drives things are getting even more complex.. And that is only one case. 
Problem is that there are so many corner cases with syncing and I do not have the time if find them all, and figure how how it should work in all of them.
I would take me months just to find out everything it needs to do, and how it should work and such. I don't have that time.
The time I have to spend on MC is limited, Too much work to do my self.  Sorry.

There should be lots of free 3de party syncing tool. Alternative way might be to add something so MC can launch and call them. maybe

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 17:27:13 »
Maybe is it possible to add it as a third party plugin. :)

Matthias515566

• Power Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 13:27:21 »
I bought now Beyond Compare this is the right thing for me and support MTP/WPD fully. The jobs are saved there and no longer in MC. Therefore are a command to start Beyond Compare from MC for me not needed.
A alternative without MTP support but within automatic synchonizing is DirSync.