Author Topic: TortoiseSvn: Can't rename a working copy (sharting violation)  (Read 6778 times)

larryt

• View Profile
I am running in Administrator mode, and using the TortoiseSvn shell for Subversion.
I typically have a number for working copies checked out, and frequently (often many times a day) need to
rename their top-level directories.
This is because of the nature of our development system, the one currently being worked on
needs to have a specific name.

Using windows explorer, this is no problem. however, in Multi Commander, when I try to rename, I get a sharing
violation, because TortoiseSvnCache is holding that directory. Is there any solution to this, keeping in mind that
this needs to be a very fast operation to be practical considering our work-flow.

In case it helps, we do not really need to have the Subversion status field in the explorer, as we have the overlay icons for that, and
we don't need to filter, sort or do anything else from Multi Commander itself - using Tortoise's existing context menu add-on is fine.

Thanks in Advance

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: TortoiseSvn: Can't rename a working copy (sharting violation)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:00:34 »
This is not really an issue with MC.  MC do not have any control over TSVN.
And this is a know issue with TortoiseSvn,  It was a worse problem before. You do not get it as often anymore, but it still happens.
So make sure you do not have a very old version of TSVN

The problem is that the TortoiseSvnCache process is holding cached state for the icon overlay so when Windows ask SVN for the icon this process return the state.
This process is also monitoring the subversion folder for change so it can update the icon.

Often when you get sharing violation issue with TSVN it is becuse the cache process is scanning the folder. and if you wait a little while it will release its hold.
When you browse to the folder for the first time and the overlay icon state is not cached, it will have to scan the folder for changes to find out.

You can in TSVN settings turn off overlay icons, then it will not scan and monitor the folder.
And you can also in MC turn off so MC do not show overlay icon. And since MC do not ask Windows for the overlay icon, this can prevent Windows from going to TSVN and asking for it.

larryt

• View Profile
Re: TortoiseSvn: Can't rename a working copy (sharting violation)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 16:21:29 »
Thank you very much - that is a very informative answer.