Author Topic: Problem with RAR archives  (Read 6740 times)

Andy

• View Profile
Problem with RAR archives
« on: September 30, 2016, 12:14:42 »
Hi,
I am having problems unpacking some RAR files with build 2265 x64 (could be the same in earlier builds). It seems that RAR archives packed in Unix/Linux are problematic, particularly folders, which appear either as 0 bytes files or passworded (they are not).
I use Windows 10, but these files are increasingly common on the Web when servers pack files on the fly. They unpack fine with WinRAR and other programs. Unpacking and re-packing the files in Windows does not reproduce the problem, so it seems that the issue is in how files are indexed inside the RAR.

Here is an example (free files from Project Gutenberg):
newbielink:https://1fichier.com/?8epaqy2dn4 [nonactive]

Can you have a look? It is the only problem nagging me so far in an otherwise excellent program. Thanks!

Mathias (Author)

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • View Profile
    • Multi Commander
Re: Problem with RAR archives
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 13:03:52 »
I suspect it is because the file attribute that say it is a folder is different on Linux vs Windows. So when unpacking that goes wrong.
I have not checked where there error for this is.. inside MC or in the Unrar code from WinRAR.
Since MC is using the unrar code from WinRar, So I'm not sure that MC can do much about this (depends on where the error is).
But if this is a bug with the unrar code from Winrar, then there is probably an update availible, and I will then update it.

Andy

• View Profile
Re: Problem with RAR archives
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 23:53:35 »
Thanks for looking into this.

If the problem is not sorted out by updating the code, please consider using a compiled version of RAR as plugin.

Some more info from my own troubleshooting: I encountered both folders that appears as a 0 bytes file and as a passworded folder within the same archive. Asking the program to "unpack select files" (ALT + F6) without even trying to open the archive to browse its contents will result in data loss. Multi Commander does not alert of any error. And there is no reason why the plugin should interfere with the extraction code, particularly when you are not browsing contents.

I attach a RAR file (inside a zip file due to upload filter) which has the passworded (or locked) folders problem. Previous linked file instead exhibited the 0 bytes file problem for a folder with contents.
Please keep in mind that there are TWO types of error with folders in RAR archives, and both result in data loss (i.e. some, not all, files are extracted without any error).